Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Days PO - Can't get real sleep from ALIF

pmckimmieppmckimmie Posts: 3
edited 11/08/2014 - 10:05 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok I joined because this seems to be the best place to maybe find an answer. I am 3 days post-op from ALIF due to DDD that I was diagnosed with 3 yrs ago (military health care - if you are walking, they take their time).

I feel surgery went very well. Same day of the surgery I was up and walking around, but the process of getting up or laying back down was REALLY painful in my abdominal/right groin area - a sharp stabbing/tearing-like pain.

The first night I slept as well as could be expected. Nurses checking vitals every few hours, but pain didn't prevent me from sleeping.

I was released the day after surgery. Again, the process of walking, sitting, or laying down isn't too uncomfortable - but transitioning between them still gave me those sharp stabbing/tearing-like pains in my abdomen and right groin area. I am finding ways to adjust the motions to minimize it though, and I accept that it is all part of the healing process.

That brings me to that night and tonight. I lie down - flat in bed or in my recliner, fall asleep, and about an hour into sleep I get a crazy dream with that sharp stabbing/tearing like pain and I'm up for a few hours, unable to fall back asleep. Naps during the day, sleep at night...it's guaranteed that between 1-1.5 hrs I am going to wake up to that pain (with some crazy images in my head right before they hit).

It's getting to the point where I am afraid to sleep.

I searched all day today using all sorts of key words but can't seem to find anything about it at all. Has anyone heard or experienced this?

• to get into and out of bed? You should have pillows propped up behind your head/upper chest area, and using the mattress or a bed rail that you can buy in many medical supply stores, turn on your side, using the rail to hold yourself on the side, then use your arm/elbow to push yourself up to a sitting position.......
    You can also use a small couch pillow to hold against your stomach muscles to help ease the pulling sensation you are experiencing.
  • Yes ma'am...mostly using the log roll method and grabbing onto whatever. I have to do a lot of shifting to avoid most of the pain, but so far I have not found a method to avoid it completely.

My main concern was the pain I get when falling asleep. The pain I get getting into or out of bed or a chair I can handle, since I am prepared for it.