Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can thoracic disc injury present heart attack symptoms?

Hi all.
Newbie here.

I have had a l4/l5 Microdiscectomy in May 2014 which cleared my sciatic pain.
I still have problems at l1/l2 which radiate pain into my sacrum and hip area.

I have recently been taken to hospital with central chest pain radiating into the jaw and arm. However, investigations including ECGs bloods and a ct angiogram have fully discounted any cardiac source of the pain.

I continue to have background chest pain at pectoral level front and back.

Bearing in mind I have spine problems in the lumbar area, is it possible that the heart attack symptoms could be being caused by something amiss with my thoracic vertebrae?

Thanks for any help / advice.
L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.

• Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 04/09/2015 - 3:37 AM
    I'm no Doctor and this is just my opinion (as everyone has their own set of unique circumstances), but I do know that sometimes I yawn or breathe in hard and due to the increased joint pain in between my shoulder blades, it almost feels as though my heart is hurting as well. I even get shooting pains down my left arm at times (nerve damage). I had all the tests done and everything came back as OK. It is never a bad idea to investigate when in doubt. GET checked. The results speak volumes. On that note, I would recommend a referral to see a Cardiologist if something like this is happening to anyone. Better to be safe than sorry!

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • I have been feeling what I would think are heart attack symptoms as well. I have subluxations on the t5 and t8. I have had ekgs, ultrasound, and a nuclear stress test that showed no issues. From what I have seen and read, it seems the thoracic subluxations can cause these symptoms.
  • Yes, Thoracic issues can cause pain in your chest. I have had surgery at T7-8, a synthetic disk with a fusion in the center using bone graft from my rib broken to reach my spine for the surgery. Long story, but yes, I had pain in my rib cage a little lower than you, however the exact same things you're talking about!
    Sara H.
    *2008-Pain in left ribcage,Diagnosed w/Scheuerrmann's Disease
    *Surgery April 2013-Thorocotomy, Disk replacement at T7-8, synthetic spacer w/ bone graft from rib;Still weak/pain across back under shoulder blades;Occipital Headaches/Migraines
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    medical term called the T4 Syndrome.

That can produce almost the exact same symptoms as a heart attack. About 10 years ago, when I was having thoracic disc problems, one night I woke up, felt like my chest was caving in and had a lot of pressure. My arms felt weak,etc

My wife brought me over to the ER, where they kept me overnight, work up a number of tests and concluded, there was not any problem with my heart.

When I was going to PT, I told the therapist about this...She then put her finger around the T4 area and pressed hard and said

Did it feel like that?

Oh yes it did!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com