Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So far DMSO is about the only thing that has helped a little with my nerve pain.

• There are lots of things marketed on the internet as sure fire cures for what ails you........the problem is , is that there are no medical studies to document these so called successes and there are usually risks involved because it is not regulated. Before you start using something that you read about on the internet, it is in your best interest to make sure that you do the research into the pros and cons of anything that markets itself as a miracle cure , natural or not......and you should discuss using products you read about with your medical doctor first.
    Natural does not equal safe, nor does it mean that it is a good idea. That article that was posted was put out by the manufacturer/seller of DMSO.......so it is not exactly unbiased in it''s claims.
  • Willy8Willy8 Posts: 88
    edited 11/10/2014 - 4:17 AM
    I should mention that I use the DMSO mainly on the nerve pain in my foot and lower leg. I've had that problem since whatever it was that hit me hit me in Feb 2014. Unfortunately DMSO doesn't seem to do much if anything for the back pain, but then I haven't been using it that much on my back (serious back pain just started 3 or 4 weeks ago, and I hope it goes away...of course), so maybe more might help, but unfortunately I don't think it is effective on back pain.
  • Am I right in thinking its a rub they use on race horses? I looked on one of the vetinary sites & they stated very clearly that it shouldn't make contact with human skin! I know it's been a 'traditional' treatment for all kinds of things in some countries but alcohol was also used for pain for decades! You can buy it in common shops but only for horse use! I'd never heard of it. Does anyone else have experience with using it?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Sandi - I've known about DMSO for many years, and I've used it on rare occasions on some sports injuries, of which I've had many. It can be every effective on certain injuries, and people have been using it for pain for many years - for arthritis and injuries and chronic pain. It is widely used on animals, but it is not officially approved for human use. It's no longer sold in health food stores, but it is easily available online, and also, I think, in farm and animal stores. It is sold as an "industrial solvent" and it is not medically pure, so that is a possible problem as any impurities go directly into your body, as will anything else that happens to be on the part of the skin where you use it (like perfumes or insect repellent!), so you need to know how to use it. Many people with chronic pain have been using it for many years, but it is possible that my using it might possibly be causing some long term damage of some kind, but it temporarily helps the nerve pain in my foot and lower leg. There is a lot about it online if a person is interested in learning more about it. I mentioned it to several doctors. Most didn't know anything about it. One looked it up and said, well I'll check your liver or gizzard, or whatever it was, and make sure it's OK after a while, and one, who is a doctor plus a proponent of alternate therapies, said that was a good thing to do, and he even gave me a prescription for it.
  • EngGirl - Yes they use DMSO on horses - and there's no placebo effect on horses! I didn't know about alcohol being used for pain, unless you mean drinking it! As I said you can find out a lot about it online, and/or read the user reviews for the dmso products they sell on amazon. I'm not advocating its use. Its certainly no permanent cure, and you use it at your own risk. I think that Voltaren Gel, which is a regular medical product, sold in pharmacies, is based on DMSO, but with NSAID drug, so it brings the drug directly through the skin - that's what DMSO does - and into the body. Has anyone had much experience with Voltarten Gel? My doctor prescribed it to me. He said that he uses it on himself. But I have only tried it out once - and then I got a bad stomach ache - probably a coincidence.
  • Thank you. I'd never heard of it in England. I will do my research. I wondered if it was a 'grandmothers' remedy like Epsom salts. You know? One of those things used before modern meds... I use aromatherapy massage blends & they can be very helpful...or at least make me feel nice & relaxed. Last night I read that it can increase the absorbency of other meds. I use a prescription compounded cream that contains ketamine & muscle relaxants & nerve meds. I'd have to check with my doc before I tried it.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I thought voltarten gel was just Diclofenac (antiinflammatories) I didn't know it contained DMSO. I've used Diclofenac patches. They don't prescribe Diclofenac in England much anymore because of the long term damage to the body when taken orally. I have a lot of bad side effects from certain meds so I like topical creams. It's unusual for creams to cause negative effects but it does happen.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 11/10/2014 - 4:50 AM
    Walmart sells DMSO but just for animal use.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Do you use a gel or a liquid?

Alcohol? Yes! I mean drinking it! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirl said:
    Walmart sells DMSO but just for animal use.
    You're in UK, right? I don't believe they sell dmso in the US anymore except (I think) in farm and animal stores. They used to sell it here in health food stores years ago.

You can google Voltaren Gel and see what it looks like. I once saw it for sale on amazon without a prescription (but MUCH more expensive than I paid for it with my prescription and medical insurance), but I don't see it there now.
  • EnglishGirl said:
    Do you use a gel or a liquid?

Alcohol? Yes! I mean drinking it! ;-)

And - you're speaking of dmso now right? - I use both gel and liquid, more so liquid in roll-on containers, both the non-refillable and refillable kind.
  • I'm living in Texas at the moment. I didn't order it. I just looked at google shopping & read the warnings the different shops listed. It was mostly vet & animal shops but some regular grocery stores that sell 'everything'.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I only noticed gel & liquid. Are the roll-ons prescription? I was reading late last night, in pain, so I think I'm remembering right..it's available for prescription for something just not for pain...is that correct?
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirl said:
    I'm living in Texas at the moment. I didn't order it. I just looked at google shopping & read the warnings the different shops listed. It was mostly vet & animal shops but some regular grocery stores that sell 'everything'.

You saw DMSO in the Walmart in Texas, and those other stores too? I'm surprised! I've been getting it online from amazon and ebay. I'll have to take a look, but I've got a lot here now. But if you want to try it make sure that your skin is clean, and wash off all the ointment that you have been using, just in case, even tho I see some people like to use dmso with other ointments to draw them into the body, but some of that concoction you're using might not be at all appropriate for that, so if you do try it try it on clean skin. Then you could ask your doctor about combining it, tho most doctors know nothing about alternative non-official treatments - with some exceptions, like the doctor I mentioned before who gave me a prescription fro dmso (which I didn't even use).
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 11/10/2014 - 5:26 AM
    I haven't looked for it physically in Walmart...just google shopping! It was more expensive than the animal type shops.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirl said:
    I only noticed gel & liquid. Are the roll-ons prescription? I was reading late last night, in pain, so I think I'm remembering right..it's available for prescription for something just not for pain...is that correct?

The roll-ons I mentioned refers only to the bottle not the DMSO itself. You can buy non-refillable DMSO roll-on containers on amazon (one person said he managed to refill them with an inket injector), and I got little refillable roll-on bottles on Ebay. Someone said he found them in a dollar store. Then I got a big container of dmso to put in the refillable bottles. Much cheaper that way. Roll on is more convenient, easier to use, and you don't have to worry about having clean hands and then cleaning them afterwards. I also have the "DMSO cream with alo vera rose scented" in the red bottle. That works pretty good too, but the roll on liquid is strongest. Read up on it a little before you try it. The main thing is you must use it only on clean skin as it draws in everything on your skin into your body.
  • I need to research more & talk to my doc. I wouldn't risk it with ketamine without talking to my doc.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • EnglishGirl said:
    I haven't looked for it physically in Walmart...just google shopping! It was more expensive than the animal type shops.

Compare the prices with amazon and Ebay. I think that they made a law that it can't be sold in actual people stores.
  • michoacanmmichoacan Posts: 2
    edited 08/03/2015 - 1:24 PM
    I can only comment on my own personal experience. For me DMSO does zero for leg pain. For back pain I strongly suspect DMSO helps relax my aggravated muscle nerves near the site of the herniation. That in turn relieves a little of the pressure on the herniation. End result: A noticeable reduction of "discomfort" in my lower back. The herniation was verified by MRI. I wipe ethyl alcohol over the proposed coverage of the DMSO to cleanse foreign material. iallow the alcohol to dry for ten minutes then wipe 100% DMSO onto the area. Yes it does give a burning sensation to skin at the site.
  • caroline2caroline2 Posts: 92
    edited 08/04/2015 - 2:34 PM
    buy the 99% bottle from vitacost and dilute it about 50/50 with distilled water. Save bottles so I can do the exchange and it goes a long way and burns way less with dilution. Also add some essential oils and doctor it up a bit..i helps as I deal with bodywide OA pain and nerve damage from hip replacement. I don't buy the roll ons as they get pricey....

My other favorite topicals are Topricin for pain and ultra tiger balm. I use so many and mix things up but have my favorites.

I belong to a yahoo dmso group and we exchange health remedies all the time. Some of the group drink a little dmso but I do not. There is a lot of info to research if one wants to know more. Personally, I don't buy the script topicals as there are so many to try and work with out there.

Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval.
    Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator

Bodywide OA, Fibro and complications from Hip Replacement.
  • DMSO can easily carry soluble impurities through your skin into your bloodstream therefore it is important to clean your skin with something that leaves no residue, e.g., it can carry soap through your skin.

Also, DMSO stinks like oysters.
This discussion has been closed.