Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had surgery and still in pain!!!!

Thomas CraneTThomas Crane Posts: 2
edited 11/12/2014 - 9:08 AM in New Member Introductions
I have managed back pain for 20 years and this year was by far the worst!!! I'm 49, had 2 MRIs, 20 chiro visits, TENS UNIT, Inversion table at home, All the Bio-Freeze, lumbar supports one could ask for. 8 epidurals, 6 transforaminal, 2 facet, 1 rhizotomy and recently a foraminotomy and partial discectomy.... now I am back to square one!!!!!

PAIN IS CONSTANT (lying/standing/but of course--sitting and driving the WORST!!!).... Now I need ANOTHER SURGERY??!!!/FUSION???

I am not interested in people with neck pain---been there---THERE IS NO COMPARISON!!!! L5-S1 and L4-L5 RULE-- your gonads, your legs, etc.-- It is like a dull HOT KNIFE and even OXY and WHISKEY can't kill this!!!

WHO ELSE HAS HAD "laser or micro surgery" or full open-back surgery, facing a fusion and tired??!!!!! Sincerely, T.G. in Florida

I have to ask you to tone down your posts. You need to remember that there
are thousands of people on this site, many that are far worse than anything you describe.
In the future do not try to state that your situation is any worse than others or that the lumbar
region problems are worse than cervical. That is an unfair and untrue statement.
The severity of spinal problems vary, doesn't matter specifically on the disc level

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 11/12/14 15:08

• Owie_999OOwie_999 Posts: 176
    edited 11/10/2014 - 6:05 PM
    I'm calling this my surgery & recovery year, when people ask me if I work, after 3 lots of surgery & 24weeks of recovery & still counting.

I've had 2 minimally invasive microdiscectomies, each done through an incision just under 2 inches & a minimally invasive TLIF all at my L5S1. The incision from the fusion is about 4 inches long (was supposed to be 2 smaller incisions but lined up better as 1 when I was in theatre).

I no longer have the burning, can't sit down agony or the hot rope running from my butt to my toes feeling. I still have nerve pain confined to my ankle which bugs me to no end & wakes me up throughout the night (what's a decent nights sleep anyway!). I'm 37 & currently about 20kg over weight due to inactivity.

I am tired of people thinking I should be fine by now as they've had 'sciatica' & didn't need surgery for it to clear up on its own. I have a great support network but 13 weeks post fusion I'm weary. I left it undiagnosed for too long putting up with the pain that I now fear permanent damage. Each week is slightly better than the last, although some days I'm cranky & full of self pity.

Overall I'm glad I had the surgeries. I feel like I'm slowly getting back into 'life'. I'm not on any medication for my spine, I've just about ceased my antidepressants (it's taken longer to wean off them than the time I was on them for!). I take the occasional 5mg endone which knocks me out for a few hours.

Sorry to hear you're still in pain. I hope you get a resolution soon. Chronic pain makes living normally bloody difficult.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Nick.nyNNick.ny New York,NYPosts: 121
    I'm not going to say anything different than Doug said. I'm just going to add that this is a community of all types of people and all we share the same common misfortune. We all suffer from a spinal pain regardless of certain spinal location or level of pain.Every ones situation is different and all are the same.we aren't here to undermine anyone..I too have my neck bones broken and put back together with metals and screws, I too have my upper right side of body decorated with four(4)25cm incisions from sternum to shoulder and down to upper arm,broken collar bone put back together with fixation plate and 9 screws,totally destroyed shoulder waiting for 5th and replacement surgery,and another C spinal surgery coming. And my medical cabinet like pharmacy with 9 different Rxs,opiated pain killers,sedatives,antidepressants,NSAIDs,muscle relaxands... And writing at 5:30 in the morning not because I like it but because of another sleepless night from unbearable pain...I'm sorry for such a long story but I feel we all got insulted and undermined. We aren't here to compare our misery but to learn,inform,comfort and help if we can people with problems like ours. I ask every one to forgive me for doing that i had to express my feelings and I hope the feelings of many of you..Nick.ny.
    2011 ACDF C 4/5/6/7.
    2011 repaired sternum with fixation plate and 9 screws.
    4/2011,3/2012,11/2012 and 6/2013  Rotator cuff surgeries.  
    1/6/2016 revision ACDF C4/5/6/7, plus fusing the level above that C 3-4.
    Pending L5-S1.
  • Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 11/12/2014 - 6:32 AM
    As with everything, there are levels of pain involved and everyone's situation is unique with their own set of circumstances. My neck bones were smashed and then put back together again via a 4 level fusion with rods and screws. There's always someone worse off, regardless of the spinal area/location in question. I understand that you are in pain and I hope you find all the answers you are looking for, but please don't come on here hauling *** thinking you are the only one that hurts. We aren't here to compare, we're here to relate.
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,850
    One's person pain level of 3 is another's 9. We are not hear to judge, nor should ever be judged regarding the level of pain we have.
    Nor is is fair to state one's area of spinal problems is worse than another.

I will be addressing the originator of this thread. I take it as unfair statements to the rest of the member community.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had this surgery on Sept 24th 2014 it was the best thing I could have done. I am 47 and the pain prior to surgery was insane down my butt to my calf. then my calf and rt foot went numb due to nerve issues. My doctor is 70 years young and told me straight up surgery is 97% successful being a betting man I went forward. The key to my recovery was the same as many others walk, walk, walk I walked and stretched everyday. I stopped taking the pain meds ( perc's ) two weeks after surgery. Physical Therapy ( aqua therapy ) is Key that has helped me turn the corner . The reality is my stomach and back are very weak ! that is surprising to me I now understand it will take months to develop my strength back. I have no pain in my butt or leg and did not have any right after surgery. However, Numbness down my leg and foot is still there but at about 5% compared to 100% . So this guy is very happy . Good LUCK to all who suffer with this it is horrible ISSUE and no-one understands the type of real suffering you/we are going through. May God bless you all!!