Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I need a little pick me up...

tonyttony Posts: 28
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been really down and out of it lately.. i can not seem to get out of this funk that i have been in.The recovery process is wearing me down; i can not do what i was able to do before the surgery, and i think its bringing me down.Any suggestions would be of great help because this is out of control. I am very moody; im not myself; i am depressed to say the least. I just cant dig myself out of this; has anyone else felt this way?? Please tell me its just a phase of the recovery process.. thanks and ill shut up now..

• I was bored mainly during the last 3 weeks, I'm back to work today. I can say that I've been somewhat more emotional in general since surgey. I had some days I was bouncing off the walls, some where I just wanted to cry. Are you alone at home? I know it really helped having my daughter around after school let out for the summer, she was a huge help and kept me company.

Being unable to do the things you normally do is very frustrating to say the least... maddening, depressing... you'll probably run the gammut of emotions. All I can say is what worked for me... prayer helped a lot. Praying helped me to open up to the fact that I'm surely not alone in my sufferings (which are miniscule compared to what some people are enduring every day of their lives). I'm sorry to sound preachy, this isn't what I usually do... but since it helped me I thought it was appropriate to at least mention. I offered up my pain every day for someone who was suffering more than me, and prayed sort of a mini Rosary as I did my walking. It left me feeling better and more peaceful.

OK,... no more preaching, I don't want to get kicked off... but hey... it can't hurt, eh?
  • Being depressed post-op is not at all unusual. Since part of you feels better you want everything back, NOW. Even though your rational mind says that's ridiculous, your kid mind says so what? You should talk to your doc about these feelings. You don't want them to get out of control. The doc can prescribe some anti-depressant for you in the short term. Try to do the things you enjoy that are physically possible right now. Read, walk, watch movies and other light duty tasks are in order. I love to read so recovery isn't total punishment for me, but even I get tired of it. If you are spiritual praying should be included, if not look at the sunset and revel in it's beauty. Talk to other people including us who understand where you are coming from. It is hard for your family because they are not in your position, but it's not impossible for them to understand. Use situations they may be more familiar with to help them get it. My husband always compares the pain to toothaches because he's had plenty of those. Keep talking, though, silence is NOT okay. Depression feeds on silence. So sorry you are feeling so in the dumps. Have you checked out the depression links? There may be others there who can help you. I'll send you some good vibes.

• Tony

I have felt that way during my recovery. I have felt very blah with no reason.It can wear me down some days and other days are better there is no rhyme or reason to it. I think it is a somewhat normal part of recovery. I spoke to my PCP about it and we decided to watch it and if it did not get better to maybe try some Zoloft. At this point I am waiting and seeing if it gets better but I know exactly how you are feeling.

Try to stay busy with whatever activity you can tolerate. I have been reading and watching movies to keep my mind active. It is hard to go from being super busy to not having much to do.

• Hi Tony,

I am so sorry you are not feeling to well. Too much time on your hand can get to the mind. Try to think of this as a recovery for the mind, sole and back. Keep yourself busy with your recreation of choice(within limits) when you are healed you propable not be able to have the peace and quite. Also, a small dose of antidepressent might not be bad. There is nothing to feel bad about if you need help from now and then.
  • Hey Tony,

You are definitely not alone in the way you are feeling. When you first get home from surgery you are so sore but kinda buzzing from having it done and you are full of hope for your recovery. Once that initial really acute pain phase wears off slightly, I found that time the hardest to deal with. You feel ok(ish) when you are resting, but the moment you try to do anything you feel so sore and tired. I felt like that for months afterwards.

The only way to deal with this is to change your goal posts - at least temporarily. Set yourself goals that are achievable and praise yourself when you make progress. At this stage in your recovery it is still baby steps. Nobody prepares you for just how long this whole recovery can take and it is totally draining. I was advised to stop comparing what I am able to do now with what I used to do and/or hope to be doing again. Instead of getting depressed with myself because I had to use a wheelchair again when I went grocery shopping, I now praise myself because I managed an extra 5 minutes in the hydrotherapy pool and an extra 2 minutes on the gym ball. These little steps are all taking us in the right direction and we will get there in the end. Take things one day at a time and try not to get carried away looking too far ahead for now.

If you need to get some medication from the doctor to help with the depression, then do that too. It's not forever - all of these things whether they be pain meds, walking aids, anti-depressants, are all just tools to aid us in our recovery. They are not going to be forever.

The other thing is not to feel guilty about coming here and venting your frustrations either. It is not a sign of weakness to talk about these issues!

I hope you are feeling better soon. Hugs, Spicey