Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Success stories - epidural cervical injections

Stefstuff19SStefstuff19 Posts: 1
edited 11/16/2014 - 4:45 AM in Spinal Injections
I am new to the group. In July I started experiencing moderate to severe upper back, arm and hand pain in my right hand. I saw PMR doc who prescribed traction, PT and gabapentin. Traction and PT made things worse. Gabapentin was not well tolerated as it made me dizzy and depressed. I took a short high-dose course of oral Prednisone which helped the pain significantly until I started to taper off of the drug. I then experienced rebound pain worse than the original.

In mid-October, I had an MRI that identified herniations at C5-6 and C6-7. The C7 herniations is severe. Both discs show evidence of DDD, the remaining discs are good.

Through time and careful exercises and total lifestyle change ( working from home standing, no driving, limited sitting, no housework, etc.) my pain is reduced but not gone. I have muscle wasting and weakness in my right tricep. Two weeks ago I had an EMG which confirmed nerve damage in the tricep but also evidence of nerve regeneration.

My doc does not want to refer me for surgery but strongly suggests I consider the epidural injections. He says they will likely be helpful based on the response I has to oral prednisone. He says with the inflammation reduced, the nerve can busy itself with healing.

Are there any members that have avoided surgery and aided nerve healing through epidural injections? I don't want to take the risk of the injections for pain. I will only consider them if there is truly an opportunity to create a conducive environment for the nerve to heal on its own.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to my inquiry.

• I did the three injections over the summer. the headache after the injection is a level 9/10 pain - it's Unbearable. But, it goes away after a day or two, or three. You've been warned. wink. I had much relief after the 2nd. More relief after the 3rd...(Aug) but end of Sept all of the awesome went away and I'm not pending surgery first of December. Was hoping for 6 mos to a year relief..but I wasn't so lucky. You could be; every one of us is different. Now, as long as I don't do much of anything.. I'm alright.
  • I'm curious as well about this as I have it sounds similar issues. Prednisone seems to reduce very little pain but I wonder if the epidural would be helpful. It is less evasive than surgery and may give your spine/neck/disks time to heal.
  • Sweetpea9365SSweetpea9365 Posts: 2
    edited 12/19/2015 - 6:47 AM
    What did you end up doing? I have DDD as well - c5-c6 bulge with significant impingement on nerve root. And reversal of the curvature at c4-c5. I had 3 neurosurgeons give me 3 different opinions. One mentioned the injection. The thought of having a large needle enter my neck scares me. My current doc has me trying gabapentin. It's only been a week. Was told it can take a couple of weeks. I have to say that it's been 3 months since initial pain began, and the intensity of pain has subsided. But I still get those zingers down my shoulder/arm if I move suddenly and my thumb still buzzes if my head is turned or I'm sitting at a desk. Not sure if the injection helps that. And I can't play with my 6 year old old without significant discomfort. Please let me know what you decided and if you found another way to help.

This is a very old post, the original poster has not been online for nearly a year so you're unlikely to get a response
    For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator