Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

releasing gas

DinwiddyDDinwiddy Posts: 1
edited 11/12/2014 - 4:10 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey everyone,

I'm a 25 year old student living in England and am hoping to find some help/advice!

4 years ago I hurt my lower back after my girlfriend jumped on me unexpectedly and I couldn't take her weight (bit ridiculous I know!) It was muscle strain and for the next year I suffered from chronic lower back pain. If I rested and did as little as possible the pain persisted. If I stretched or did exercise the pain would go but by the next morning it would be back.

I bought the Gokhale method book and started doing the posture exercises set out. I found it helped me to manage the pain a little better and holding the postures set out put less pressure on my lower back, though I would also get more tension in other areas like my shoulders and upper back. Spending time every day doing this posture work made me more aware of pain and tension I had more generally. I started to focus on each of these points of pain one at a time, and by focusing specifically on the area that was painful I could move the pain. If I followed this technique the pain/tension would move towards my stomach. I carried on with this technique for half an hour daily for another year incorporating different positions like lying and sitting whilst I did it as well stretching, tensing and relaxing different muscles all over my body including jaw, forehead etc. (stretches you don't generally find in manuals). The aim was to move the pain and make it more manageable or get rid of it completely, but I also found I had better energy levels and was improving in sports where I had previously not seen improvement.

One side effect as I carried on using this technique was that it seemed to create more gases to build up in my stomach and would result in me burping and farting more! I realised that once I let myself release the gas that had built up the tension from whichever area I was focusing on would go. I would find that I wouldn't be able to make myself burp/fart by doing that action any more and so would move onto the next one. I no longer suffer any back pain, don't ever take any painkillers, don't get headaches, I'm able to do exercises and physical movements I could never do before, and my flexibility and posture is constantly improving, though it is a slow process.

My problem now is I'm quite alone with it. I've talked to people close to me about it and there reactions range from a little freaked out by it to kind of confused. I'm too embarrassed to do it front of people so just do it in the privacy of my room every morning or evening. I want to share it with people who are looking for solutions for pain but I don't want to do it alone. I was wondering if people had heard of any techniques like this or had any thoughts relating to my story.

Look forward to hearing from people,