Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thank God there is support!

I have been disgustingly healthy until about five years ago, at which point I had surgery to remove a thoracic arachnoid cyst. My neurosurgeon was unable to reach all the cyst, which went from T5-T8orT9. He cut the middle portion and "hoped the rest would eventually drain." He described the surgery as having to "scrape the cyst from all those nerves." He also told me that the cyst had a shell-type covering and he knew before he ever began the scraping that there was already scarring, and then he caused more trauma removing it. Long story short, I was left with just as much pain as I had before the two surgeries. I was sent to "pain management" which consisted of throwing massive amounts of narcotic medication at the problem. I was so zonked out that I could hardly stay awake and he pain was only minimally affected. I could not afford to quit my job of 10 years in a doctor's office so I pushed and pushed to c ontinue. I was foggy, in constant pain, sweating and just generally miserable. One of our patients who has had multiple back surgeries told me about his implanted pain pump. I have witnessed him coming from almost zombie-like a few years ago to almost fully functional since his pump. When I asked my pain mgmt. about the pump, he refused, saying they cause problems. I was desperate and consulted another certified pain management doctor, who not only was willing to do a pump, but encouraged me to do so. The pump enables me to take a fraction of the medication I was on before, because it is delivered directly to the spinal fluid. I receive morphene (which helped very little orally) and a numbing medication through an intrathecal pain pump, which only has to be refilled every other month. They also provide oral medication for break-through pain, which I sometimes go for days without using. The only complications I have researched are in some people, scar tissue can develope around the port, but I have had this one for over four years now without any problem. Now; however, the remaining part of the cyst has closed up and is compressing my spinal cord again. I have no idea what to do about it, since my last surgeon told me he would not do any more surgery. My situation is so rare that I thought I would never find support, but I have already found two others with similar situations on this forum. Thank God for this. What a relief to be able to talk to someone without them treating meme like a "druggie."