Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I started out taking Percocet 5-326 along with Flexeril 10mg and after 3-4 months the pain got so bad that the Perc 5mgs actually stopped having any effect on me whatsoever. I tried the gabapentin and it did nothing but make me feel hungover 24/7. I am now taking Perc. 10-325 and it has worked wonders for me. Now after my ALIF will I stay with my current meds or will they give me something else?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    Members here can talk about their experiences which is very helpful. But when it comes to prescribing any narcotic, only your doctor is going to do that for you

You should never be look at MORE pain medications. That is a mistake so many people get trapped into . Instead look at what ELSE you should be taking.

Take a look at The Blend

This will just give you some ideas of what can be done to help in overall pain management.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The whole idea of having surgery is to eliminate your pain (actually reduce it) and limit the need for medications. If the medical diagnosis your doctor gave you is correct and the surgery is done, you shouldn't need medication anymore.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I should've worded this differently. I cant wait to be pain free and off the meds. I just wanted to know if I'd stay on the same meds post on instead of pumping my body full of something new
  • My doctor took me off the stronger pain meds and put me on weaker meds before the surgery. He did that so that I would get more benefit from the stronger meds post op. I was on Lortab 20 mg every six hours after surgery. Within about a week, I was down to 10 mg per six hours and then down to Darvacet N100's PRN.

Unfortunately, I haven't been off meds at any time since surgery. I was getting better until the three month point and things went south again. I hope your surgery fixes your situation and you have a good outcome!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I had my first back surgery in 2012 I was given oxycodone 15mg 5x day, I was in hospital for 9 days and took them for almost 2 weeks after I got home, when I stopped taking them because my pain was manageable I got so sick, addicted that quick. I called my dr and pain dr immediately. Now they didn't want to take me off due to more surgeries I was haven. So I stayed on them thru 2 more surgeries (which they stopped work only took them not to become sick). My surgeon said I had 2 major back surgeries and an elbow surgery I'm young and never going to be fine. That living off pain meds was my only solution to be pain free. I took myself off the pain meds in June. Which they (they as other drs and rehab facility)said that my pain would get better without taking them. Which I think they have but now I'm have another disc that needs fused. Pain in both legs constantly and both legs go numb in and out. They want to implant a neurotransmitter. And I also was in Percocet 5,7.5 and 10s for 10 years prior to surgery. I never had any issues with addiction to them but they did stop working. Best of luck
    Jolynn varrati