Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member, my brief story.

daleyycddaleyyc Posts: 11
edited 11/13/2014 - 6:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Dale and I'm from Calgary, Alberta. I stumbled across this forum when searching for typical discectomy recovery times, and it has been interesting reading through all of these posts.

I had a herniated disc that responded acceptably to conservative treatments for maybe 15 years. The last flare-up (the fifth or sixth one) was getting worse with time and therapy, not getting better. So after six months of this (July 9th, 2014) I had a left L4/L5 discectomy. To make things a bit more complicated I have a partial sacralisation of L5 also on the left side. After about a month and a half things were looking up but then my (ex) wife decided she was done with me.... so now I am in a new house, newly single, working, and maybe a third of the way through what seems to be a bit of a rough recovery that seems to take a long time.

I've been the exercises as directed by my physiotherapist, my back stability is definitely getting better and even the 'worst' day post-surgery has been far better than before surgery. The leg/nerve discomfort has mostly settled down and maybe 60 or 70% of the time I feel 100% - no pain or discomfort at all. This is especially true when I walk. I am not on any pain meds but the discomfort comes and goes. Of course, I get freaked out about epidural fibrosis and failed back surgery when any new tingle or tickle or return of muscle tightness or pain shows up - and that starts my already overloaded brain (overloaded from work, divorce, financial pressures, and recovery from surgery) on a downward spiral.

Thanks for this wonderful forum!