Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OPLL & Posterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion

goldsoftball121ggoldsoftball121 Posts: 1
edited 11/15/2014 - 2:42 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good Morning everyone,

I am new to posting but have been reading this forum for quite a few months. I am posting on behalf of my dad. He is 51 and just had a posterior cervical discectomy and fusion C3-T1 on November 4. Prior to October, he had been diagnosed with DISH about 12 years ago. After seeing the neurosurgeon at EDITED in October, he was diagnosed with OPLL (Ossification of Posterior Longitudinal Ligament) and no we do not have any Asian descent.

Prior to surgery, he had numbness and tingling in his left hand and arm. 11 days post-op and that is now gone, but the numbness and tingling is now in his right arm and right hand. It started about 8 days post-op. The doctor called him yesterday and told him that if he has any significant changes in strength or stability on the right side he needs to go to the ER right away.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone have any input? He handles pain incredibly well, but this is just driving him crazy! Also, I know nerves take an incredibly long time to heal, so the answer is probably to wait and time will tell. We would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you!

• I just had a corpectomy as the result of my OPLL. I am also having tingling on the left side and will be mentioning that to my doctor's office on Monday. I'm not too concerned because I was having tingling on the left side prior to the surgery and read that there may be damage that was already done that cannot be corrected but the surgery could prevent further damage. I also have numbness on my left thigh but feel that parts of my muscles may be waking up gradually. I have more pain on my right arm. After reading of similar situations on the Internet, I suspect that part of this is related to the decompression and the pain being able to be felt in a different way. I will let you know if the doctor indicates any concerns. My OPLL had my ligament stuck to the vertebrae body and the doctor removed the body with the ligament.

During the procedure the individual monitoring my spinal chord and nervous system did not read any bleeps or see anything abnormal. Hope your dad is better and would love to hear more about how he has progressed.