Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cauda Equina Syndrome

I have just heard of this. My doctor has ordered a MRI for Monday to determine a diagnosis, but she said to go to the ER if symptoms worsen before then. My symptoms are acute thigh pain and deep pain in left buttock, unconscious incontinence, impacted bowels and sharp, shocking pain when sitting down or standing up. Does anyone have any experience with this?
SF-based CHC

• ...as you are. I have had several disc herniations. Most recently, I herniated my L5-S1, where I also have something called spondylolisthesis. I've been slowly developing concerning symptoms for a week or so. Occasionally, it would take several minutes to start a urine stream. Then, horrible pain during a bowel movement...felt like nerve pain (not hemorrhoid, etc). Tonight, I'm starting to feel like I've been on a 4-wheeler for an hour. My buttocks is "buzzing" and getting numb. I also haven't had a bowel movement in four days. Eek. Nothing seems to be moving. I've not completely lost control, so I'm waiting until tomorrow to call my doc. But...it doesn't look good. I'd bet on surgery sooner before later. My feet are numb too, but that's from the repeated herniations.

You and I may be in the same boat. Hang in there!!! It's treated with a decompression surgery...not necessarily a spinal fusion. In my case it will be a fusion, because I also have spondylolisthesis. I've already discussed my surgical outlook with my neurosurgeon.
  • Kimberly and Notgivingup,

I am and was in the same boat. My condition was or is that my L4-L5 was a grade 1 antrolisthesis. It was just enough to cause me great pain. Legs were numb, my back never held an alignment when I went to the chiropractor. I also have a slipped disc in my neck. Had bowel issues that would last for weeks. And when I did go, it was a trickle at best. Pooping was non existent. Then when I did go, it hurt like a bowling ball was coming out. I did develop a hemeroid. Grr,

Had surgery for laminectomy and they had to fuse my L4-L5. But thanks God I didn't have to get screws and bolts.

I am praying for you both. I'm told that if I take my meds, listen and do everything the doc says I will get through this faster and back to normal life. Patience is my obstacle. I want results now, lol.

It has been two weeks so I am counting down the days until I can get out and about like driving again.
    Praying for you both. May God keep you safe and give you patience through this tough time.
    Atlasmiss [\]