Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 months post op from ACDF C/3 C/4 Pain has returned Please Ideas?

I had a cervical fusion with plate and screws and cadaver bone.. April 18 2014 appx 7 months ago, was doing great! I have been on 40 mg of Methadone daily for years for my chronic pain. I decided that I no longer wanted to be on the methadone because I thought my surgery was fine and I was good to stop my pain meds ( I hate taking pain meds) so I went to a detox place thru my kaiser my taper was half a mg a week sooo I went from 40mg down to 25mg in 3 weeks I was doing ok as far as weaning I had some wtihdrawls the first week but detox dr gave me some meds to help ease the W/D but I kept up with tapering. then at 25mg my neck pain came back so bad I almost went to the ER ( but I didnt as I know that is for life threatening cases so I just sufferred ) untill my next appt with the detox Dr. I went to see her and told her about my pain. she advised to stop tapering and reffered me back to my primary he refilled my methadone I told him I had to go back up to 40mgs and refferrred me to pain managment. which I have an appt Tomorrow for orientaion my problem is that as of Oct 1st 2014 my husbands company where he works dropped our Insurance we had so Iost my Neuro, primary, etc.. I have an appt with a new Neuro this week . I am so depressed that I had to go back on my pain meds but the pain was so bad I cant work I have been off work for 3 weeks. my question to you all is as I have other levels in my neck that are just as bad as the one they did the fusion on. so could it be the other levels acting up or am I not fusing right? I retrieved all my medical records to bring to the new Neuro including my MRI ans Cat Scan. has anyone ever had the same experience of trying to wean off opiates and then the pain came back? or in my case i think the pain was always there it was just being masked by the methadone. it does take my pain away so I can work and function daily. I am not taking any other medications I dont want to the less the better. I am so depressed that my pain came back as I was doing great as far as tapering as I was more determined to get off this opiate I just want to be normal again, but my body is saying no. any Ideas or advice and support I can get would be great! Thank You so much
ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
Chronic pain sufferer since 2005

• GropmGGropm Posts: 20
    edited 11/16/2014 - 9:33 PM
    My neck pain is still as bad as it was presurgery. I am three months post op from c5-6 ACDF. My surgeon said it can take up to a year to feel better. Perhaps you have something going on in another level. I, too, have an issue with an adjacent level. NS said it was best to leave it alone for now. But, like you, I worry if it's causing me pain. I guess if I'm still in pain 9 months from now we'll maybe do something about the bulge below and a bone spur that was left behind on c6. I hope you get your situation figured out soon and feel better. :)
  • I am going to take my new MRI I just got done from another Neuro dept ! And take them back to the neuro who did my fusion ! The answer I got from them when I asked them what's causing my neck pain and arm pain and weakness! She answered I don't know! And that I have DDD ! Duhhhh I already know that ! That's not a good enough answer for me ! So I'm going back to my previous neuro who is the best in southern ca and ask if he could review it and compare the last the last one he did !! At least I won't get an I don't know from him ! And he can tell me what he thinks I can do about further treatments Like conservative surgical etcc I don't like my new neuro dept ! I really don't think they know what they are doing or perhaps it could be all about the dollar ! I'm starting to believe that with this new medical insurance we have ! I'm going to go back to my neuro at least he is honest and upfront !
    ACDF One level C- 4 April 2014
    Cervical Spondylosis \ Myelopathy
    Chronic pain sufferer since 2005