Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery wisdom

I met with my neuro today and he showed me what was causing all the hell in my back that was causing leg pain and lose of the use of my left leg, a large herniated disc was causing "severe stenosis of the central spinal canal" when they did the needle test I could not feel it and asked if I was being poked and they couldn't believe I couldn't feel the needle in my thigh, I heard him tell the nurse to check his surgery schedule and get me in IMMEDIATLY, the dr cam back and said he could do surgery this Friday afternoon, this being Monday can any one give me advice on what I need to get together to be ready for the surgery and when I come home Saturday to ensure my recovery goes well, I'm very stressed about the surgery but if it can stop the pains in my buttocks and leg and return the leg to use I'm in, if anyone has has surgery and can help I would appreciate your insight and words of wisdom
Thank and god bless
Spinal stenosis with neurogenic clauducation
3 level retrolisthesis
Bilateral Laminectomy/Discectomy surgery l3/l4 on 11-21-14 (failed)
L3/l4 spinal Fusion 03-20-15

• This is all happening so quick to you so great question.

What Surgery. What is the procedure? Give more details so we can give better answers.

Expect much more pain before you get better knowing it the price of admission OUT OF PAIN.
    Have great support while you recover.
    Take your time recovering do not rush it even when you think you feel better.
    Listen to your doctor.
    The rate of people having another procedure is high. Be prepared.

Get a second OPINION!

Good Luck!
  • I have to be honest. I was scared too. I had the same thing happen to my right leg. Mine was a massive disc. Just think if we lived 100 years ago we wouldn't have this option. They can operate in a tube for the most part. They opened me a tiny bit more as they weren't sure if they'd need to get to another level or not. I did take a marker and write on my body which side to open. I made sure I was coherent for the consent forms and clarified it with the surgeon. I had a switch of shift while I waited for surgery. Like you it was an emergency. The hospital emergency referred me to a surgeon on vacation and I waited longer than I needed to. I didn't get to have a second opinion. I don't know if it mattered in my case. I couldn't ask for a better surgeon. I would have liked the nerve decompressed sooner. I would have your home fitted with the things you'll need to access the shower. Toilet seat riser. Walker/cane. Have TV and bed ready. Food prepared for you. Someone to be there at least the first few days.
    Honestly.... The surgery suprised me how tired I was. The ones n this site with 2 or more discectomies in a year or whatever really hit home. Follow post op to a tee. Do not push yourself. Be honest with yourself and don't overdo it. But do get up.. Do follow what's on your physio. Make sure you take enough medication to make your commute home easier. Make sure you get the meds filled. Even if you don't need them forever. Keep ice and heat packs easy to get to.
    You'll be fine.
    Just breathe.