Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-surgery Jitters

T minus 8 days until my surgery. I have the pre-surgery screening tomorrow, and think I should pass with flying colors.

I did have a scare today. I woke up and came downstairs. I sat in my chair, and I felt that same pain that hit me almost 2 months ago. L4 and L5 were screaming at me. I broke my rule and took a pain pill during the day, right after I got to work, since it would be 8 hours before I would drive.

The good news is that the pain subsided, but I've got more numbness on the top of my foot. I am so ready for next Tuesday, but still scared to death. I've been at my new job since Sept. 30th, and am nervous about being away for so long.

I did schedule a deep tissue massage for this Friday. Wanted to treat myself before I went under the knife.

Anyone else get these jitters?

• Penguinz90PPenguinz90 Posts: 22
    edited 11/18/2014 - 3:19 PM
    Hi WB, I'm right there with you. I had my pre-op yesterday and am scheduled for surgery 12/2. I am having a fusion of L3-L4, laminectomy, cage and screws and rods put in as well. I try to avoid pain meds during the day, but I've had a few days these past couple of weeks where I just had to take meds during the day too in order to get through it. I teach science and do stage shows and can spend hours on my feet, which leaves me miserable at the end of the day. Funny about the massage, I have a certificate for a massage that has to be used before the end of the year and I was just telling my husband a few minutes ago that I may give it to an employee because I would be worried that they might mess things up more if I have a massage now (in addition to slipped discs and nerve compression I have spondylolesthesis and am worried they might make that worse). Anyway, when I get nervous I think about my quality of life now, which has gone down the tubes at a fast and furious rate since I slipped in June. I can't go out with my kids, after I work I crawl into bed because it hurts too much to do anything else, I've gained about 10 lbs because I'm not doing anything active...it sucks! So I can keep things the way they are or bite the bullet, have the surgery and pray for the best. Just think positive thoughts and what you can start doing once you start feeling better...hang in there.
  • whackedbackwwhackedback Posts: 42
    edited 11/18/2014 - 3:26 PM
    I've been getting massages ever since my ACDF. My shoulder blades were so tight. The therapist can be careful around certain areas as long as you make them aware of them. Mine sees my scars ever time. Because of lumbar issues, my calves get tight. My MT goes in and works the knots out of them. Sometimes I'd swear I had a new pair of legs when I left.

I'm hoping for a miracle next Tuesday.

• My PT has done some myofascial release massage because my sciatica is so crazy tight. It hurts like hell, but definitely feels better afterwards. This certificate for a massage I have is for a spa and I don't know them or trust them to not mess things up more. I am glad yours is able to provide you the relief you need. I will say a prayer for you, that you can get the relief you need. Please let me know how it goes.
  • I've had 7 hours of sleep in the past 2 nights. The pain down my left leg is so intense, I can't find a comfortable position to get in to sleep. Last night, I slept from 3 AM to 6 AM, sitting in a dining room chair. Never knew I could sleep sitting straight up, but I was tired.

• Hey everyone hope your pain is all minimal, I had my pre surgery screening yesterday and everything was ok so I will be having an l/3-l/4 discectomy/lam tomorrow 11/21. I didn't sleep well last night due to stress, I hope I'm able to sleep tonight so I'm not worn out, just felt like posting here because it seems that know one really understands the pain and discomfort unless your experiencing the pain. It sucks..... When I found out Monday I would be in surgery Friday afternoon I called my employer that ive been at for 14+ years disability office to let them know, when they called back the girl questioned why I was unable to do my desk job, I about lost it I gave the disability customer service rep (who is not even medically trained, and sounded like she was 12) an ear full and told them not to call me back and refer all questions to my dr. I was shocked when the girl said they are expecting me back 2 weeks after the surgery and was only approving disability for 2 weeks ...... I then proceeded to curse a little and hung up on the girl. Does anyone know how long I will be down and if they can indeed require me back 2 weeks after a spine surgery? The stress that me employer is causing is unreal, I guess it's true when they say your just. A number even though I've been ther 14+ years, thanks for listening guys and I hope you all have a great pain free day
    Spinal stenosis with neurogenic clauducation
    3 level retrolisthesis
    Bilateral Laminectomy/Discectomy surgery l3/l4 on 11-21-14 (failed)
    L3/l4 spinal Fusion 03-20-15
  • whackedbackwwhackedback Posts: 42
    edited 11/22/2014 - 12:10 PM
    I started working with a new employer on October 1, 2014. When I called the insurance company 2 weeks ago to let them know the date, I explained the surgery would be at L4 and L5, They told me that they had put in a Short term disability for me of 6 weeks. I am hoping that I can keep things together, and be able to work from my laptop before then.

I'm getting more anxious by the minute. I have to call a special number at 4PM on Monday to find my surgery time. I have 2 Hibiclens type bath sponges that I must shower with the night before and morning of my surgery. If I can go home on Wednesday, I have 2 neighbors that have said they would bring me Thanksgiving meals.

I'm at work this weekend trying to clean up a lot of work. I don't even mind being here. So far, this place has treated me well.

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 359
    I am also waiting for my surgery date, 12/10, and trying to keep from losing my cool. I had a date for October 29, but it was postponed and really I was panicking pretty good when I got the call and was even relieved for a moment - the pressure was off. But I'm refusing to entertain those thoughts that get my wheels spinning. Not worried about the surgery aspect - I am ready and trust this is the right decision, but don't have complete trust in myself to have it all together after the fact. Worrying about that is futile, tho, too many variables. Just trusting the plan, my God that brought me here, and that when the time comes I'll know what to do. I'm not working, so not concerned about the things you are there, but I do hope to be able to get a job before too long...gotta get the recovery down pat first. All the best to you posting here!
  • christibencchristiben Posts: 121
    edited 11/24/2014 - 1:11 PM
    Hi all I'm scheduled12/2 for an l4-5 laminectomy. II'mnot so nervous about the surgery but if iI will lose my job and how long recovery time I will need . I'm sick about the copays . I'll need to get back to work to pay it off but am worried that my job and the stress will be too much . High stress corporate job that demands a lot of math, harsh deadlines, a clear head and hours at a computer. Stinks getting old. Wishing you all the best. Keep us posted.