Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What exercise can I do?

bunny_ladybbunny_lady Posts: 1
edited 11/18/2014 - 10:05 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone,
I'm 21 on Sunday and had surgery for scoliosis when I was 15, and had surgery last August to repair a fracture in the lower half of my spine. Basically, even with painkillers it hurts to do any sort of activity and I get tired so quickly as I'm so unfit, so it's a vicious cycle. My main problem is my core strength - my stomach muscles pretty much hang because there's nothing holding it up, I'm not big but my belly isn't proportional to the rest of my body.
So, my question! I know swimming is a good exercise, but I can't always do it. Are there any machines at the gym I can go on without hurting myself? I'm not a fan of yoga/pilates because I'm so inflexible with the metal rods in my spine so I can't do it properly anyway. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

Edit: The second op I had was a fusion for pars defect

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Can you see a recommended physical therapist? Make sure it's one who checks your diagnostic reports & develops a routine that won't cause you additional pain. Spines are so complicated that I'm not comfortable guessing what could work for you. Aqua therapy is better than 'normal' swimming. To be honest walking back & forth across a pool is better for me than swimming. That REALLY hurts me! ;-(

I don't go to Physical therapy 3 times a week anymore. I do my stretches at home. My core is pretty good for a spiney with little kids! If there are financial concerns I hope a good therapist can give you guidance in fewer sessions. I found their limitations useful too.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I've been to three physios and the one the hospital recommended was the best. The other 2 just took my money.
    They should go over you and your medical history. They should check you physically. Then build you slowly. I've suggested Excercises too and we work together to modify and increase to other movement's
    The spine and abdomen hold you up. Through yoga though I learned that tight hamstrings and hips can also put pressure on your spine. If you could find a good yoga person or class.. It does matter if you can "do" all of the moves. The first step is movement with breath. I've practiced yoga so long that I do my physio like yoga. You could try music too to make it less boring.