Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI pain worse but still surgery denied and now I am now having no feeling in my left leg to my knee.

If you want to know my story please read my first post, it is long but should give you an idea of where I'm at. In August my wonderful surgeon did another written appeal to our insurance company, which was denied yet again for investigational/experimental reasons. Medicare is said to approve the less invasive SI Fusion surgery using IFuse at the beginning of 2015 and when medicare approves all other insurance co's usually follow. At this point though my surgery should have been approved per several doctors I've been seeing and we have forked out our $6k in out of pocket maximum as of June which means both surgeries would be completely covered if done this year. My insurance assuredly knows this and is just waiting for next year cuz we know it's all about money.

Tonight about 2 hours ago I woke up from a nap since I sleep 2-3hrs at night, I sat up in bed and scooched to get in my wheel chair to get to bathroom. I quickly noticed my left leg was not moving right. I cannot feel my left leg from right where it bends at my hip down to my knee and my back has a severe sharp pain right at the top of my joint and moving across towards my hip and down slightly. Right in the middle of my lower back right where your L5-S1 are, which I've had disc replaced and fused it feels like I have a bruise but my mom looked and it looks normal. I've had hypersensitivity there and my dr rarely touches it because it hurts so bad. We've done prolotherapy there and around with no relief but I'm curious why all of a sudden it is painful. I'm not sure what is going on. It has happened once before, not as bad or for this long- I'm in hour 3. HELP!!
Lisa Joy

Minor scoliosis, fusion of S1-L5-L4, discs replaced at L4/L5 and L5/S1 2007, spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, left and right SI Joint dysfunction with fractures along illiac crest, and vacuum phenomenon.

• Oh Lisa what your insurance company is putting you through is just so wrong. It's makes me so ANGRY & breaks my heart at the same time. I don't know what to say. You have such a supportive surgeon please don't give up hope that a human being with a heart gets your case at the insurance company.

I'm a Mum of 2 little kids & I'm incredibly isolated since moving from England to America. It's so hard without a support system. It must be desperately frustrating for you knowing that there is a surgical help. It's so unjust.

What helped last time this happened? How long ago was it? Did you mention it to your doctor? What have you tried so far since it started? I'm not going to go through all the flare tricks. I'm sure you know them) I can't start to guess what could be causing this feeling. From your past experience (you know your body) do you think this is an ER situation for you? Oh I know, medical bills. Ugh!! But it's your body.

I'm so sorry for everything you're going through. It must be so bloody hard to live with. You're a very brave lady. Give your kids a gentle hug from me. Stay strong. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Hey Lisa. How are things today? Have you spoken to or seen your surgeon? What's happening? We're worried about you.

I'm so sorry. You're not alone. It's going to get better. I'm so desperately sorry your insurance company is doing this to you. It's criminal :-(
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Lisa. I know a LOT more members seem to comment on the "Chronic Pain" forum. I wonder if you post about your situation there you might get some more suggestions. I'm not talking about a duplicate post....just talking about what's going on lately. I know from my private conversations that a lot more members read than post. Many are following your situation & feel desperately sorry for what's going on. ALL are so impressed with your strength.

I really don't know what else to suggest I just want you to know that you're in our hearts. Life is bloody hard as a chronic pain spiney without insurance companies crippling us further. I don't know what I'm hoping for...I guess I want a fantastic lawyer to come across your posts & change the situation!

Stay strong. If there's anything I can do to help or support you please mail me.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.