Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back sugrey

maddpratter08mmaddpratter08 Posts: 1
edited 11/18/2014 - 10:11 PM in Recovering from Surgery
i had back surgery about 7 months ago i work in a food store i lift heavy product and throw freight build pallets ect. my doctor told me i was not going to be able to do my job any more i need to no if i am able to do my job after my one year is up what can happen is my back new and ready for work or could i hurt everything like tear stuff can i bend the way i ust to without tearing my back all up can someone please help me figure this out answer my questions i am now very depressed i have bad anxiety and panic attacks and i am so stressed out i do not no how i will support my family i can not afford to start at the bottom i make 17 an hour and i was almost maxed out at 25 an hour i nly had a few more steps to complete then i would have been at my limit an hour.... straight up please tell me what could happen if i go back to my job? will i be able to bend and lift the same way? i am so confused i hate this feeling its just no good please help
thank you

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • No one here can tell you if you will be able to go back to work. Each person is different and their recovery really dictates how they feel afterwards.

If you had surgery seven months ago and your doctor advised you not to return to your line of work, I'd listen to him. You only have one spine and if you mess it up bad, your stuck. You may need to find a new job doing something less strenuous.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • EMCEEMC Posts: 84
    edited 11/19/2014 - 9:11 AM
    i also think it depends on what you had done. you may be able to readdress the matter with your doc at a yrs time. although if it's that long i'm tempted to guess you had a fusion, do you know what and where they operated.
    We all understand how frustrating and depressing this whole process is. if you need emergency funds you might look into SSI which is not disability, it is assistance from the government. you call the social security and they will direct your next step. another helpful tool at a yrs time may be to get a second opinion. if its a fusion they dont want you lifting like that so as not to beat up the disc's above the fusion and i'm sure other reasons...
    you are not alone and sometimes it just helps knowing that.
    take cAre
  • I had two surgeries and continued to work in a construction environment. (i understand your level of work as I used to do the exact same job) I injured my discs competing in weight lifting so I was pretty strong in the years to follow which allowed me to continue my same lifestyle post op. with that being said I am six months post op after a multi level fusion with hardware and I have slowed down considerably.... your body will dictate what you can and cannot do, I would enter into anything with caution and try to follow your doctors recomendations but bottom line you know your body the best .... take care in anything you do but dont stop living because life is too short !
    2009 discectomy/laminectomy L5-S1
    2013 revision and discectomy/laminectomy /forimanotomy L4-L5
    2014 Fusion and hardware L3-S1