Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After a bad fall, neck, shoulders, arms, wrists and hand pain! Help!

QuintaBel53QQuintaBel53 Posts: 1
edited 11/19/2014 - 8:38 PM in Chronic Pain
I am older but in excellent health, don't take patent medications either. On 6/24/14 had a bad fall at work and did not want to go into the Worker's Compensation system but nothing to be done when I began having a lot of pain (and I have high tolerance for pain) my neck cracks all the time and by the end of the day I have a bad headache, my shoulders give me a lot of pain and I can't raise my arms; my arms are almost useless as I have NO stength, my wrists hurt and sting plus I can even open a doornob and the fingers on my hands swell a lot, get numb and I can't even write. So I went to a QuickCare and got Prednisone and a pain shot which made me feel better, that is until I began seeing the doctor on the W.C. who would direct my care. He's secretive and won't give me any information on my condition, especially after MRI's on both shoulders and a nerve test (where you get electrocuted outside first and then they put electricity to needles and stick them in).... After the nerve test I got worse, back to square one so I went back to the doctor and told him what was going on.
This doctor doesn't believe I am in pain, told me the nerve test wouldn't make me worse and that the pain in my neck is due to arthritis (my neck is too straight and at my age it's natural and I probably always had it but never noticed!!!! is what he told me.... He said all I wanted were meds (haven't been to the dr in years since didn't need it and take NO patent meds at all, all I take is powdered Vit C). Don't have to tell you at that moment I decided this dr was not for me and fired him, of course he did not take it well and told me he had nothing more to offer me.... Anyway, not taking the meds he'd given me (got no better but no worse either, they were Methocarbamol 750mg and Cyclobenzaprine 10mg - How can I have arthritis from one day to the next? How can I have nothing if I am in constant pain, can't sleep, can't use my hands and live with swollen hands? All I wanted is to get back to where I was before, that's all... but this dr won't tell me the truth, won't give me my file (large charge for it too) and says that all I need is physical therapy, is this so? I had hopes of an early retirement this summer but what kind of future am I looking at like this? Guess I should have known better since the W.C. doctor only looks after the employer but I thought I might get lucky, but no.... I am so depressed, I also have to work every day, 9 hrs on a computer and phone.... Anyone have any advice for me? I'm desperate!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • hi,

i think you should consult a physiotherapist .
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. I am glad you fired that doctor. He was not working for you. I wish I had some insight for you. I also had to deal with some doctors that were not worth the time and money I spent seeing them. It took me almost 3 yrs of pain to get someone to help me with my issues. I don't know what your options are but I think that maybe you can see someone outside of the WC doctors that are worth your time. Is there a customer service number that you can call to complain about the care that you receive? This is totally wrong of them to treat you this way. Maybe talk to your own PCP about it? Maybe if you explain to them what is going on, they can help you since they know you and your history better than a WC does. Maybe if they get involved they can work with your employer and help you. Good Luck
    Tracie C