Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Occipital Neuralgia??

holly777hholly777 Posts: 1
edited 11/20/2014 - 2:52 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi. I am new here and looking for feedback about occipital neuralgia. Not sure if I posted in the correct forum but here goes...

My 20 year old son was having bizarre headaches and a neurologist said he it was caused by his occipital nerve being irritated or entrapped - occipital neuralgia.

The neurologist didn't make a huge deal out, like it was pretty common. Frankly, we felt relief that it was not something more serious. Now, after doing research, I am very concerned that we are dealing with a chronic, disabling condition for which there is no actual "cure". I am aware that internet research can lead to nothing but the worst possible scenario cases, so I am trying to keep that in perspective.

He is on amitriptyline and got the nerve blocks on Monday, which I understand are diagnostic and well as helpful for the pain. As of yesterday, he was headache free, so they appear to be working. He is a college student, so he is very on edge about "how long" the effects of the shots will last. He has had several very bad days this past month and just wants it all gone! He has not had an injury so the cause (we assume) is tight neck muscles.

Any experience with this? Is it possible that (like some other muscle/nerve issues) this is just an acute situation that will heal with Monday's injections and he can continue with a "normal" life? Most of the information online is so negative and scary.

Thank you

• rtconant1rrtconant1 Posts: 348
    edited 11/20/2014 - 4:55 AM
    For a few weeks, I was suffering from horrible headaches that are either Occipital Neuralgia or cervicogenic headaches. They are horrible. I don't know which one it is for sure. I was calling my doctor several times about it. I talked with my physical therapist about it and we were able to narrow it down to the third occipital nerve. He did what he called dry needling in the C2/C3 area. It did not cure it but a little over a week, they did taper it off. I had headaches for a month straight with this. There were certain triggers for me that caused the headaches to start such as wearing hats, headbands or really anything on my head. Also any pressure on the pack of my head such as laying on my back that started them also. Mine usually started with neck pain caused by my herniated disc issue that I had surgery on a couple months ago. These headaches were not anything new though. I had them for years. He may want to try to figure out the triggers for the headaches and try to avoid them when possible.
    I hope he gets relief from them. They are horrible to have. Good Luck
    Tracie C