Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

System too slow

kinpainkkinpain Posts: 958
I am getting a bit frustrated here. I have a fairly fast internet service (DSL) yet any time when I try to go to another page, or issue any kinds of comment ""Preview", Submit" or go back) the system just seem to freeze up. Or is it just extremely slow? Sometimes I can't decide what is happening, all I know is that I can' t seem to be able to move my cursor. This never happened on the old SH site. Is it a bug perhaps?

Anybody else had the same experience? Any suggestions?

Kin :sick: :sick: :sick:

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    No, at this point, I do not believe there is any bug in the system. Drupal itself because of all its features and functions is a bit slower than barebone forum software like PunBB.
    But many times its a question of tuning. I know in the past the problem was with the ad pages and not the forum itself.
    I will make sure that the development team is aware of this.
    Do please keep track of ANY time you see system slowdowns.
    Any online system will have its peaks and valleys, but it should never been long termed.
    Also, Wired will give you a slight 'edge' over wireless connection, but something unless you are benchmarking you should not see.
    Please also keep in mind that the difference between DSL and Cable. I've gone through many discussions about this. DSL overall is faster on the average than cable, but never faster than the faster cable. Each DSL connection is dedicated, so the bandwidth you get is what you subscribed for. Cable on the other hand can almost be twice as fast, BUT cable is shared. The more people that are on the same trunk as you cable, you are share that bandwidth
    So for example DSL has a power of 8 But that 8 is ALWAYS your 8, noone else's.
    Cable can have a power of 18, ahh, looks good, but then the next door neighbor signs on, and so forth and now that power of 18 is only 4.
    Still light years ahead of dial up
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm glad to hear its not just mine. I have a new computer with dsl. I'm not at all computer savey. I thought something was wrong at my end. The other system was faster. especially today this one is slow.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Boy you got that right Ron. I had DSL at my previous home. Now that we are in our new house , WE are left with only dial up option. Boy I miss the DSL and talk about slow on the new system, You have no idea, sometimes I tink I see the grass grow while I am waiting for post page switches.
  • I don't know if I understand your response 100%, but I accept your explanation.

But since you say it is not a bug, maybe the slowess is something we have to learn to live with?

Kin :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I would be glad to go into more details if you would like.
    I might just bore you.
    Bottom line, we will look at various options and systems tweaks to get the best performance we can out of this system.

Nothing worse than having an online system and it crawls ... That sort of will turn you off to using it and that is NOT what we want.
  • It is slower at nite than during day. And I notice it is faster now than it was 30 minutes ago? More internet activity or site activity?

I guess you would call mine DSL.....I have satelite system w/wireless router.
    Ben,I noticed that also. During the day yesterday it was fine, then after about 9:00pm est,I started to see a slow down and at around 11:50pm est, it was really slow.
    I am not sure if its member load, ad page loading or what
    We will check into this
  • It took 27 seconds after I clicked on link to open awhile ago. It's 5:00 p.m. EST. It's not PC, 2 other sites loaded fine.

Hate to say this but it's getting slower and slower.
  • Hello folks! As you know the forum portion of the site is still pretty beta and we are working out bugs, and feature requests. I think I may have just applied a fix to the forum that should in theory help things out. I think there was a specific query that gets triggered a lot that was doing some pretty heavy lifting and when the site gets real busy it can get hung up and affect the rest of the forum as far as speed goes. Please let me know if you notice any difference. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Hope everyone has a great 4th of July! Thanks!
  • Even earlier with heavy traffic I noticed pages were opening and loading faster.

Have no idea who you are but I think you found the bug.

• Mine is too! And after I sign off, my whole system slows down......... I also noticed more spam and stuff slowing down my puter....... :?
  • I noticed it slow few days ago but right now, today actualy is pretty good.. I have cable with firewall on it so no one is sharing it with me... :D :D

There were some changes made that should improve overall forum performance.
    How is it for everyone .
    The important thing about system changes is that the folks using the system see the change