Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Three month post op appointment

EA1070EEA1070 Posts: 26
edited 11/20/2014 - 5:21 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Saw my neurosurgeon yesterday and everything is progressing well. I'd heard from others to expect to be released yesterday, but he told me that he isn't going to release me for another six months due to the extensive amount of work he did.

I also found out that as well as the screws and plate he put in a cage since it was a 4 level ACDF from C3-C7. I wish I'd known about the cage when he operated. My anxiety and fear of accidentally hurting myself probably would have been significantly reduced, but c'est la vie.

Seeing the X-rays and all of that hardware in my neck was pretty trippy, lol.

The first two months of recovery were pretty intense. I still get tired really easily, am not very comfortable driving, and the area of my pelvis where he harvested the bone still hurts like hell, but he said that will ease up in the next few months. I've found that using a Rollator helps tremendously when I have to walk long distances.

All in all my recovery has gone as smoothly as can be expected and all of the symptoms I had beforehand are gone. As difficult as the first few weeks were, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'd reached the point of insanity with the pain, numbness and tingling going down my right arm and in my shoulder, not to mention the awful headaches.

For anyone who is in the early stages of recovery, please know that it *will* get better gradually. I'm still not back to 100% but the severe nerve impingement from osteophytes and the degenerated discs were taking a major toll on my quality of life and had I let it go for too much longer I very well could have ended up being paralyzed.

Hugs to all. You'll get through this. Just realize that this isn't a surgery you'll recover from in a few weeks. It will take months but so far for me the positive results have been worth it. If at all possible, get an electric recliner. I slept in it for several weeks and it was a godsend. My safe place, I could prop up pillows for support and I still use it every day. It was totally worth the $500 investment.

4 level ACDF, C3-C7 with iliac bone crest graft with hardware on August 22nd.