Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Siatica or different

ACeadAACead Posts: 2
I got stiffness in my butt area last year around May and eventually it turned into shooting pain down my leg (from upper calf to lower calf, the pain was about a 5 out of 10), I got acupuncture and the shooting pain is gone. I went to the doctors and got a MRI and it said I have herniated disc in my lumbar region, my doctor also said I should get a full recovery with time.

It has been about a month since I seen my doctor and still have no back pain, however I can't seem too get mobility in my butt area back. I can't touch my toes and its worse when I sit on the floor with my legs straight out ( I can barley do it). The tightness in my butt/hip area is making me extermaly frustrated since I have been a athlete all my life and sitting around doing nothing because of this stiffness is driving me crazy. I also haven't been to physiotherapy or the chiropractor for about 3 months, because school has been pretty busy.

My questions
- how to get rid of the stiffness, should I go to the chiro or physiotherapist, effective stretches?
- Do i need surgery.

Additional information
-20 y/o, 6 foot, 175lb
-stiffness in butt/hip ( 5 months)
-pain shooting down leg ( 1 month duration after 3rd week of butt/hip stiffness, gone now for about 3.5 months)

• You need check this with a PT, Ortho, Neuro, to check if there is anything wrong with your hips or spine, problably they will check with a MRI exam.

I had the same symptons, 4 months of weird pain in my left legs and some movements that I cound't do properly, now I know that it was two bulging discs (L4-L5 and L5-S1).
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    To start with, as long as you have confidence in your doctor than believe what he/she is saying at the moment. Doesnt seem like any immediate need for surgery. Though, anytime I read about pain starting in the butt area and traveling down the leg, I think sciatica, which in turn makes me think about a disc impinging a nerve root.

But it appears your MRI didnt show this. Most of the time when you have a lumbar disc problem, you are not getting the pain in the back. All so often it is in the butt, especially with the L4/L5/S1 disc levels Then its the numb stabbing pain down the leg. Back in 1977, I started with that, everyone thinking it was a hip problem. But one semi-radical doctor (especially in that time frame) suggested a myleogram. That showed the herniated L4/L5 disc, which did require surgery.

Right now if you ARE NOT SURE what the problem is, I would try a second opinion, getting a second pair of eyes to look at your MRI and report.

But I would NOT see a Chiropractor. If in fact your problems is more disc related and spinal cord, chiropractors can do more harm than good.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com