Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New poster-dealing with c5 c6 c7 t1

Puck DaddyPPuck Daddy Posts: 13
edited 11/21/2014 - 5:18 PM in New Member Introductions
Hello all....I am a 41 y/o male in generally good health except my cranky problematic neck. First a little history, when I was 18 I took a bad hit in a football game and my neck hurt everyday after that. Ten years later I was chasing down a fly ball in a baseball game and I heard a loud pop. That pop ended up being a disk that exploded into my cord at C6 C7 which gave me radiculopathy and myelopathy. It was really bad as I could barely walk and the numbness and tingling all over was crazy. I had a single level ACDF without hardware at C6-C7 in February of 2002 and after a recovery period of 2-3 months I felt great. I still had some of the tingling that would come and go but after a year I was able to get back in to my activities. The next 11 plus years went by and I was playing baseball again and even rode dirt bikes for a while. Over that time I would get a weird symptom like a new tingling sensation somewhere or some new pain I thought could be an issue and things always checked out so I continued right along. January 1 of this year I got out of bed and yawned and got another loud pop that was in my shoulder blade area. This pop gave me pain in my arm and mostly should blade that I can't describe so off to the Dr. I go. He test my strength which was fine and ordered an X-ray and told me everything was cool so I played baseball again this season and played through some discomfort from the January incident. I made it through the season which I had a great year and we won the championship so all is good right?! Well of coarse not, I woke up a week later with the shoulder blade pain and arm pain 100 times worse. The doctor orders an MRI and the good news is my fusion from 2002 looks great, bad news is C5-C6 has disk issues/spurring and C7-T1 Ditto. The pain over that last 2 months has varied in intensity and location. The pain in the shoulder blade is always there and sometimes my inner arm, sometimes top of forearm, and sometimes in the knuckle by my ring finger and pinky. I also have tingling and number right there along my C8 dermatome as well. I also get some tingling in my calf and toes but no leg weekness or imbalance. The leg symtoms might be my own head messing with me since myelopathy is the thing I am most concerned about above the pain.I met with my same neurosurgeon and he really wants to try to avoid surgery since I still have no loss of strength. So here it what we have done so far that hasn't really worked. I have taken relafen, ibuprofin, lodine, meloxicam, and prednisone. Not all at the same time of coarse. The prednisone worked a little but not at all after I stopped. I have gone down this road so far with no hard pain medication. I have done PT and very light traction which doesnt really do much either. I have a follow up with my surgeon on Monday and I'm hoping he has some other conservative measure to try because I obviously want to avoid surgery even though I kind of know it is pretty much inevitable down the road. Thanks for the forum and sorry for the long post. BTW, I'm not playing baseball anymore no matter what. lol