Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Advice from someone who's had Lumbar fusion wanted>

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am wanting to solicite info on Lumabar fusion as far as restrictions after surgery..can someone help with this?

• hi laurie ann
    here are the major don't
    1 no twisting
    2 no bending
    3 no lifting
    4 no squatting
    5 no driving until doc says
    6 don't over do at any type of things

1 rest
    2 rest
    3 rest
    4 walking as much as you can but not alone
    6 come here for support

everyone heals at a different rates some faster than others, don't compare yourself to someone else who has the same type of surgery as yourself.

i hope this helped some good luck on your surgery
    soft hugs
    welcome to the forum

• Laurie Ann, double x pretty much covered it all. try to use your log roll technique getting in and out of bed, like double x said no twisting. I was alone a good bit of the time during the day right after surgery, so if I needed or wanted anything, I had to go down stairs and get it myself. I healed well and the Doc thought it may have been because I used the stairs so much. Absolutely be very very careful, bit even though it is painful, walking up and down the stairs carefully may have helped strengthen back muscles a little quicker. Good Luck in your healing process, it will seem like forever, but you will heal.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Hi Laurie Ann,
    The info you've already got is covering all I can think of. On the lifting my surg. said nothing heavier than milk carton, Half gal.
    good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi Laurie Ann,
    It would help a bit if you could tell us if you are pre surgery or post surgery and what level/s you are looking at.

As has been said, evey one heals differntly and some Surgeons are more flexible (pun intended) then others. I am 8 weeks post 3 level fusion with extras and my physio has me bending while sitting and moving as much as I can.
    ALso are you wanting to know short term restrictions (recovering from surgery) or long term?

I know I will never be able to bend as I did before - not with 8" of rods in my back but there are many benifits too.

Blessings Sara
  • I am pre surgery! Its something I am considering. I have had a herniated disk since before April. I have had injections and pain meds nothing helps.
  • I am 2 months out and still no BLT I can only lift 1/2 of carton of milk as weight goes, rest, rest, rest and walk, walk, walk, is my life right now!

• Question, if you can't do any of those things, how do you do anything? If you drop something on the floor, if you have a kid you have to pick up, if you need to reach your drink on the table, HOW do you do it??? Sorry, I know this sounds more like a vent, bad day in the back club.
  • Tammy, I have a Grabber to pick up things, kids can climb on your lap, getting a drink off a table usually does not involve BLT. There are many items out there to help people with back issues. With every thing else in life you learn to addapt.
  • Suggestions:
    *Plan ahead, arrange your house so your 'stuff' can be accessed at waist level.
    *The Grabber, invaluable tool.
    *The Walker, gives stability especially getting up and down. Also handy for holding the grabber when not in use.
    *Occupational Therapist, came to see us in the hospital. Was able to answer many 'how to' questions.
    Hope this helps,
  • Hello Laurie Ann,
    I notice in your history that you had a heart attack and recovery from that requires adaptation and pacing back into your new norm, if you do or change one aspect at a time you then know which of those is not working and those small tweaks are sometime sufficient to ease your progress, we all soon learn what is possible and what is not through trial and effort. These suggestions are proposals and it is up to you to determine what works for you as an individual and go with that, do more of the things that do help and less of those that cause a problem.

Be kind to yourself and find those people who can support you going forwards, perhaps double the time you assume things will improve and that will help you set realistic attainable objectives, simple things are major achievements. This will be a time for new experiences imposed by restriction and hopefully your recovery will improve over time, much angst is in expecting to have improved and not doing so, we are all individuals and that recovery time does differ.

It is understandable that sometimes we compare and contrast with others; you just need support and encouragement though this process and reassurance, many here have done what you are experiencing and continue to improve. I had my own fusion in 91 and wish you well.

Take care.

This discussion has been closed.