Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi All

ellozeelloz Posts: 22
edited 11/21/2014 - 7:35 PM in New Member Introductions
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for a little while and have finally joined for some ideas/comradeship/support/understanding and just to chat to other people who get it.

I am 29, female, work in the mining industry operating heavy machinery for a living (very rough job with constant vibrations). From about July I started suffering from medium intensity lumbar pain. Doctor thought bulging disks I had about 8 weeks off work where I saw the Physio and just had anti inflammatory and pain relief from the doctor. I improved and went back to work for two swings (week on week off each set of being classed as a swing) doing my normal duties but with employer support to stop operating if I needed a break until I was better . Second last night on my second swing back I parked up my machine early in the night unusually sore. As the night went on in sick back I could feel it getting worse. It was like a hot melting feeling. I couldn't work the next shift and stayed on the floor of my donga. I could not move the next day 9/10 pain. That was in September, I have been off work since then and it has improved but I can still only walk about 600m max before I have to lay down and I can only sit down for about 2 Min before I am in agony.

An MRI has identified 3 herniated disks, L3/4, L4/5 and L5/S1. L3/4 does not appear to be causing any trouble.L4/5 is impinging in the L5 nerve root so will be causing some of my sciatic symptoms and L5/S1 is constricting ThenS1 left and right nerve roots, luckily for me I only have left side symptoms not both.

I flew to the city this week (flying REALLY sucks) to see a neurosurgeon. I have been booked in for a microdiscectomy for December. He has told me it should relieve a lot of my pain but not all. He said to expect pain and numbness to continue and that I will probably has back problems for life. He also said to quit my job :(

Got all the usual symptoms left side only , Back pain, sciatic pain, pins and needles in calf and foot, numbness in outside of foot, toes, bottom of calf. Some left sided weakness as well. On top of all of that a major needle/ getting cut open phobia, basically surgery is my biggest nightmare.

All in all I know it could be worse but it is still nice to be able to read other stories so I know I am not alone

:) Loz
-Loz-
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Loz. That's where my spine is most messed-up it really hurts doesn't it? I know that's a huge understatement! There just aren't enough words to describe spine pain sometimes. I'm so sorry. It sounds like your job is a spiney nightmare. With all the time have you considered studying for a new career? I've always found that distraction, something, anything to take my mind off of my pain is the best medicine. It's one of the reasons I write here. I know it sounds strange that reading & writing about others spine pain helps me with mine but I does ;-)
    I've made some great friends here & I've found so much information & support. I hope you have the same experience. It can all be so hard. Depressing & frustrating. Having people who truly understand & don't judge is wonderful.
    I look forward to getting to know you. See you on the forums.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • ellozeelloz Posts: 22
    edited 11/27/2014 - 7:16 PM
    Ha. Yeah, it is NOT a good job for back issues. It is actually a common problem in the mining industry. Luckily I had already applied to uni to study but it was suppose to be external, doing it while I worked. Not sure what I am going to do now while I study. Going to be looking at a huge pay reduction (Think over $100k a year reduction!)

I am actually looking forward to my microdisectomy and I have a major getting knocked out/ getting cut up phobia.

Thanks for the welcome
    -Loz-