Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck, arm and hand pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been struggling for a few months with numbness and pain in my hands and arms along with pain in my neck and shoulders. Have had MRI and evoked potential tests. Everything I read says there is no pain with the evoked potential tests, however, I found it to be particularly painful at the ankle and am worried about what it means. The tech was pretty sure of carpal tunnel syndrome, but I think I may have a bad cervical disk too from an accident 2 years ago. I don't really know why I am writing, and I don't know what to expect. Guess I just want someone who can empathise.

• Welcome to spine-health
  • :) Thank you for your response. From the looks of things you take care of a lot of us. I am just so frustrated and tired. I'm sure I'm on the right path for figuring it out, at least I hope so. Now, I just have to hope that insurance covers me. Workers Comp says it's not related to my accident and basic health insurance says it is related to my accident, so in the mean time I'm running up the bills and trying to cope. Take care.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to read you are having severe pain. dealing with insurance can just add to your pain levels. i hope you have a resolution soon. good luck and i will see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I have empathy for your situation. I too had neck, arm and hand pain. I could not have an MRI since I have a spinal cord stimulator (SCS) that is helping with my lower back and leg pain. They did a CT scan and found herniated disks and nerves being pinched in my neck. I had to have an anterior cervical discectomy & fusion (ACDF) from C5-7 and now have plates and screws in my neck, but the numbness in my hand is completely gone. I still have some neck pain and occasionally pain in my shoulder. I also have severe headaches and am still trying to find the cause. I think the pain in my neck and shoulder may be related to the headaches, but we are still searching for answers.

Have you seen your doctor about the results of the MRI? What kind of doctor are you seeing? I was referred to a neurosurgeon by my neurologist. I was told that if I didn't have the surgery I could have possible permanent nerve damage. I am right handed and that is the hand and arm that was being affected.

I hope that you can get answers from your doctor soon. It is so frustrating to hurt and not know what the cause is.

Take care and come back to let us know what you find out.

• hope that you are able to find out what is going on and then get some sort of treatment plan going. Have you thought about getting a lawyer to work out for you who is responsible for covering the medical costs? And if you already have a lawyer then what does he\she say about this? Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to what you find out and how you are doing....Miki
  • Judy,

Thanks so much for your email. I'm sure you can identify with how frustrating and depressing it is to deal with constant pain. Tomorrow I am having an emg and getting the results of the MRI and evoked potential tests with the neurologist. I'm expecting to find a neck problem. I''m praying for a shot that fixes it all, so I don't have to miss work. After reading your story, I don't feel like I have it all that bad anymore. We'll see. Just that my hands hurt so bad, feel stiff and swollen.

Thanks again,

• Hi Miki,

Thanks for your response. I have called a lawyer, but have not yet hired one. The one important piece of advise that she gave me wat that the insurance companies all lie and not to accept any bs. I'm waiting for the outcome of my doctor visit tomorrow where I will get MRI, evoked potential and emg results and hopefully a diagnosis..and treatment. Doctor suspects cervical disk and possible fibro, along with carpal tunnel syndrome.

I appreciate your comments and hope that you are coping.

Coping is the thing that I am not doing well. I am so happy that I found this site. Gives perspective.