Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain/ neuropathic pain/ depression/

edited 11/22/2014 - 9:23 PM in Depression and Coping
Hi. my name is shelby, I'm 23, I broke my back in 2012. I had minimal fractures on my t8, 9, and 10 and a burst fracture on my L1 that required a spinal fusion. Afterward I started having tingling, pain, numbness, feelings of hot and cold, you name it, in my left leg sometimes extending down to my foot. I fell today. I don't know what exactly happened, my leg just gave out and I fell. It's humiliating. And embarrassing. My boyfriend is out of town, my mom was busy, I don't really have friends anymore. I can't go do anything. I'm no fun. So im all by myself and im in so much pain. I'm 23. This is supposed to be such a fun time and instead I'm juggling a therapist and physical therapist and medication and about to start pain management. I just don't feel like a real person. And I don't have anyone to talk to. And I don't know what to do anymore. I hurt all the time. I can't really concentrate. I tried going back to work multiple times and it didn't work. I'm waiting to be approved for disability. I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. I feel like I'm not even myself. I guess I just want someone to talk to who understands? My mom's words of wisdom tend to be get over it. Or don't think about it. But I can't help but think about it. I hurt every second of every day.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Shelby,
    Chronic pain is difficult to deal with, we all have our own ways of coping. My issues started a long time ago when I was your age but mine stem from osteoarthritis which is a genetic disorder for me. I have felt the same way as you are several times and I have become somewhat depressed. Over the years more medical issues have appeared and it has almost become a constant battle trying to determine what needs to be dealt with as a priority and what is not. Now I am much older and have learned a lot since my younger years.
    First you must become you must become your own medical advocate, do a lot of research, ask a lot of questions of your medical team, and learn to sort the good information from the bad. Try to get more than one or two professional medical opinions of your symptoms. It took me a while but I finally learned that in the end it puts your mind at ease making the right decision when it comes to what road you take.
    Find the things you can do and key on that, stay positive, set goals you can attain, then exceed those goals whenever you can. Also remember your pain and discomfort hurt the ones close to you. If at all possible, try to ease their worries and concerns, even though it can be very difficult for you at times.

Don't write off happy and fun times for your future. We can do just about anything we want, you just got to want it bad enough.
    If I can do this like many others here that frequent this site, then so can you.
    Take care, stay in touch and lets us know how this new journey of yours progresses.
    Wishing you the very best,
  • Dear Shelby,

My name is Jamie and I am 23 as well. I have a chronic Neuromuscular disease similar to MS and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have been battling my medical issues since I was 14 and I know what you are going through and can completely relate to your situation. I battle with mind-numbing neuropathic pain and joints that have so much inflammation surrounding them, they feel dislocated. Some days I cannot walk and have to use a cane or hobble about with a significant limp. It is not easy having people stare at you all the time or look upon you as though you're a freak.

It is a terribly hard battle to face at such a young age when, as you say, we should be enjoying life! Depression and anxiety are natural to have, so try and find the good moments in each day and cherish them. My Neurologists have told me time and time again "This is permanent!" and will not change and slowly get worse. My dear, please take solace in the fact that there are people to talk to who will listen and help you through your struggles. Even if you are having trouble communicating your problems to your boyfriend and mom, there are people amongst this community and beyond who are more than happy to discuss your situation and work with you to help find ways to cope with your situation. You must also look on the bright side, that times are tough now, but you are still very young and I am sure there is hope that, in time, your injuries may heal.

Please stay in touch so that this community can help you through your troubles!

Sending lots of positive energy your way!!