Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restrictions post C1/C2 stabalisation

JadeJewelJJadeJewel Posts: 6
edited 11/24/2014 - 5:13 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi! I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has had C1/C2 Stabilized who could tell me what their experience was and is post operative. I am currently looking into having it done on my 7.5 year old injury in which my right alar ligament was torn.

• Hi Jade,
    We are a rare breed. I am scheduled for c1-c 2 fusion 12-22. Sorry I can't answer post op question. But, I hope we can communicate in the future on how our recoveries are coming along.
  • I have had a C1-C2 fusion almost 2 years ago due to an is odontoideum or broken C2. I did end up having pain after surgery and even 6 months into recovery. My problem is I over did it. I ended up needing 2 other fusions over a year later. Some restrictions I had was no BLT or Bending, lifting, twisting. I couldn't lift anything over 10 pounds and I had to wear a cervical collar for 6 weeks. I also was not allowed to have ibuprofen or any other NSAID for 6 months. Those are the big ones. My other restrictions were base on the specific injury I had. If you want more specifics about anything then just let me know.
  • How are you now? What level did you have your other fusions?
  • I have had a lot of work done. We ended up extending my fusion To my occipital. Then about 5 weeks ago I had my occipital hardware removed along with my C2 hardware because my hardware loosened severely. Ba enough that it was completely out of the bone and free moving. I was a pretty severe case and it was caused because I had way too much ROM. They also extended my fusion down I my C3. So currently I have hardware in my C1 and C3. It worked helping with instability but I do have chronic pain. I am trying to get into a pain doctor to see what options I have, possibly on the injection part of the pain clinic world.
  • Thanks Michk for your reply - looking forward to hearing how you are going!!
    102876 - it sounds like you've been through a bit!! I hope the latest surgery works out better for you!
  • Your surgeon should explain any and all restrictions both before the surgery and after. You should make an appointment with him to go over those questions you have about the surgery and recovery prior to the surgery and make sure that you bring a list of any other concerns you may have.
    There are links in the FAQ section of the forums on the left hand side that has a list of questions to ask your surgeon regarding spine surgery..........
  • 2 weeks Post-op. I wish I would have used a recliner first night home. I could control the pain, but it takes alot of pills the first week. This week, I am down to 1 Oxy Codene as needed. I try Tylenol first before I take Oxy. I am doing much better than I thought I would be. So glad that first week is over. Headaches are gone, and I actually see myself coming back to normal. I hope the same goes for you.