Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Afraid of pain meds

edited 11/24/2014 - 4:34 AM in Pain Medications
I have had chronic cervical and lumbar issues for years and have managed with ibuprofen and Tylenol. Lots of addiction in my family so afraid of narcotics. Just had a cervical fusion surgery as I was tired of the pain. Stopped meds within five days post op, but now that I'm released from my collar at 6 weeks my pain is pretty bad. I haven't even started PT just household stuff.

I would appreciate insights on less intense pain meds to get through PT, etc. still think the surgery was worth it, but need to manage my pain.

• I also have addiction in my family and my mother became so addicted that it killed her at only 55. She had chronic pain and many back surgeries and was over medicating herself. Needless to say, when I found myself with back problems and needing pain meds, I freaked. the meds are extreme ly helpful, but I'm only taking pdescribed dosages and am hyper aware of addiction dangers. Maybe being scared of these is a good thing. I refuse to go down the same road my mom did. Be smart and careful ♥
  • I have problems with my neck also and I had fusion surgery also. After having my collar off also, the pain was horrid. I suggest you talk to your doctor. You may need to use other options to help with the muscle pain and nerve pain. If you can control the pain other ways, you may be able to get away with not needing narcotics. I am personally on cyclobenzaprine(flexural) and gabapentin 300 mg. Different meds will work for different people. Just don't forget to talk to your neurosurgeon because if they don't know you are having pain, they cant help you. I'm sure you have heard most of this before.
    Tracie C
  • I also have addiction in my family, and have stayed away from narcotics as long as possible in the treatment of my complicated and severely painful lumbar issues. I have had success with Tramadol (Ultram) for almost two years. It's recently been reclassified, but I don't view it as a narcotic. I used to take one 50mg pill in the AM to get me going. It helped with the morning pain. Occasionally, I would need a second in the evening if I had a very active day. I have now progressed, as I'm having an active flare with acute pain, and needed something stronger. Dr. gave me Tylenol 3 (with Codeine). I know it's a narcotic, but very mild in that regard. Hoping to d/c it very soon. Good luck to you. Please make sure to explain your situation completely to your doctor. they should be able to work with you.