Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hurt My Lower back when doing Leg Squat 2 weeks back

esenthileesenthil Posts: 2
edited 11/24/2014 - 8:52 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for the help.I am 43. I used to do lot of running and last 4 years I do running, biking and weights. I am 5.8 and weigh 145 lbs. 2 weeks back when I did the squat I felt something moved inside and somehow managed to put the weights back. I felt severe pain for a minute. I sat for few minutes in the gym and then able to walk. I took a 600 mg advil after coming home. Later that day I went to ER and the doctor asked me to walk on my toe and heel. I am able to walk. He said he doesn't think it is a fracture and asked me to take advil and ice/heat.I can bent back. But I can't bent forward and touch my toe. I felt the stiffness.I don't have a shooting pain. But still I have the burning sensation and some pain in the lower back.There is no pain in the legs .

Now I am taking advil 400 mg - 3 times a day. I apply ice couple of times and then use the thermacare heat pad for 5-6 hours.

Initially I was not able to sit or drive a car for 30 minutes continuously. When I get up I feel the stiffness in the back and the burning sensation in the lower back and upper butt . I took X rays last week and have the Ortho doctor appointment on Dec 3rd.I also got a referral to a PT. I had 3 sessions so far with PT. I am doing the stretches for 20 minutes - 2 times a day. I didn't tried running or weights.I started walking and able to walk for 45-50 minutes for the last 4-5 days.But still I feel the pain in the back - it is not a shooting pain but really uncomfortable . PT asked me to stop taking advil and then see how the pain is. I didn't took advil today afternoon and I felt the burning sensation is high or someone pinching in the lower back always.I got worried and took again took ADVIL 400 mg now. I will do the stretches again and will continue with it.

Reading about backpain online confuses me a lot. I have to wait till Dec 3rd to see the doctor.

Can anyone experienced similar pain in the lower back and upper butt . Any suggestions/diagnosis and help much appreciated. Thanks again.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 11/24/2014 - 8:53 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It would be a guessing game at this point. Keep doing what you are doing as pain management and don't irritate the area that is in pain. leave it be until you see your Doctor. Ask for an MRI. An MRI should answer your questions. Til then, I wish you luck with the pain subsiding. Lets hope you only strained some muscles!
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Thanks Liz and Doug. I really appreciate it.

I am trying to walk 45-50 minutes every day.I will keep doing the back stretches.Does muscle strain pain last more than 2 weeks.

I will keep you posted on the doctor visit. Thanks:-)
  • I'm no Doctor, so I'm not going to tell you what u need to do other than to make sure you DON'T over do it! Muscle strains can go on for an eternity. My brother in law has been dealing with a back muscle strain forever it seems.....

Everyone is unique with their own set of circumstances. You need to follow Doctor's orders strictly if you want to get past this.....
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore