Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Much...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
...walking did you do 12 days out of surgery. I can only manage 1/2 a block. I think I'm doing ok. Just wanna check others expierences.

• Jess, I am walking in my house a lot during the day and try to make it outside to walk around the house and backyard at least twice a day. Not sure how far, since live in the country and don't have any blocks. Tomorrow, I plan to put on a pediometer and see how many steps per day and increase it everyday. I have a treadmill for my indoor walking, because it gets very hot here in Tx, and sooner or later will not be able to go outside. But a rough guess would probably be one block in am and pm. But remember everyone is different and everyone should take it at their own body's pace.

• ill print that out and put it on my fridge. thx!!

if i try and walk around in my house id be falling over toys!! LOL!
  • I was way to advanced and was probably doing a mile by week 2 but I'm paying for it now...at least that's what I hope is the cause of my woes. I got a booklet from the doctors today and here's the break of how far you should be doing and when:

For every walk you must walk 5 minutes to warm up (or stretch during this time) and 5 minutes to cool down- totals listed below

Week 1-2 Walk for 5 minutes (15 minute total)

Week 3 Walk 1/2 block for 7 minutes (total of 17 minutes)... SEE YOU ARE UP TO THIS ALREADY

Week 4 Walk 10 minutes- one block (total walking of 20 minutes)

Week 5 Walk 12 minutes (total walk time of 22 minutes)

Week 6-8 Walk 15 minutes (total walk time of 25 minutes)

Week 9 Walk briskly 20 minutes- one mile (30 minutes total)

Week 10-11 Walk briskly 25 minutes (35 minutes total)

Week 12 Walk briskly 30 minutes 1 1/2 miles (40 minutes total)

Of course I'm sure if you are up to it you should go for it but this is the guidelines in the "official" rehabilitation after surgery pamphlet I picked up today.