Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upper back pain with swelling

acd12345aacd12345 Posts: 2
edited 11/26/2014 - 5:34 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am 23 years old in good shape.. I have been dealing with back pains for well over 2 years now but its been getting worse these last few months. It started off with being told I strained some tendons in my back and I had muscle spams and I was put on medication for that... I experienced a short period where I had no pains at all.. the pain came back and just recently became worse. It is at the point where the slightest touch send me into tears from it hurting.. I have tried heating pads, stretches, massages, muscle relaxers... everything really.. The pain feels like someone is punching me over and over again in that area of my back. It is the whole left side of my upper back.. some mid-lower pain but that is nothing compared to the pain I feel on the upper back.. My parents noticed that the left side was raised higher than the right side, very hard to the touch and even when they slightly touched it, it felt like a knife going into my back... Any ideas?

• There is also now this tingling sensation and it feels like my back is burning up... my upper left side also feels to be giving out at times?
  • Quicker than slower. Hang in there!
  • I noticed the meds and other things you have tried. If you are having swelling in areas of spasms have you tried ice. I have extreme spasms and swelling in the paravertal, rhomboids, delts, and traps. Ice..ice...ice seems to be the only thing to start off the calming down part as heat will increase blood flow to that area hence more possibility for swelling and sensation. Also as much as it hurts to do I have to break the spasms as us spiney call it. I use foam roller or basketball, my tens unit or continued deep tissue massage. If I don't break the spasms I will swell so bad it will make me hunch back and pull me off to my bad side and I'll lock up. Once I get the muscles calm then I'll alternate between ice and heat. dilauro has alot of experience with the muscles spasms you might try and message him also, but just thought I'd let ya know what works for me. Also if ya continue to have tingling and altered sensations might be time to go get looked at closer. (Sooner than later as this can lead to more serious things) If your not comfortable with what ya hear or treatment move on till you are and get the help ya need. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon. God bless