Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this normal? - We really cant answer that

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
edited 12/21/2015 - 5:59 AM in New Member Introductions
So many times I read threads from new people asking about a specific condition, either prior to , during or after surgery.

We only wish we had the formal medical training to answer those type of questions. But we cant. There is no one on this forum site that is medically qualified to answer questions like that.

When you have a situation, any situation that you feel is not right with you, then you need to talk to your doctor about it.
Asking here could create a problem. Lets say you ask if that after procedure A, you had symptom B and ask is that normal.
Someone might reply, "Oh that is perfectly normal, dont worry about it"

But in fact the person that had procedure A with symptom B is in danger of having a serious problem.

No one, especially online can properly diagnose and make suggestions or tell you what is right or wrong.

That is for you and your doctor to discuss.

PLEASE ..... Dont ask if this is normal and never accept from another member that it is normal or not

Of course there will be times when its common sense about if its right or wrong, so in those cases if a member tells you not to run up/down stairs 3 days after fusion surgery, you can be pretty sure they are correct.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• This site has an ad that you can click on and ask Dr. Patel about your sacroiliac condition or whatever pops up. Misleading to some who post on the forums.
    Is there a way to populate a common Q&A of what not to post in the header of the posting screen? People also don't tend to read or have familiarity with a site... especially while in pain.
    Forum rules maybe could link with a friendly "before you post.. Ask this" and this is the link to a condensed overview of forum no nos?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    who have been here a while.
    Its the new members that I am trying to address. And that is hard.
    We have a FAQ, plus dozens of other threads that say " Before you post....."

But we also have to understand that when people come here, its not for a social visit. They are hurting and are looking for answers.

So, trying to temper the forum violations with people looking for help. Its a delicate balance we always try to make.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for all that you do.. Despite being in pain.

• Found your site by "accident", although my pain is a culmination of years of wear and tear on my spine. I had a gastric bypass at age 45 so that I could have 2 knee replacements, and when I had an x-ray of my spine 3 years later after a minor fender bender that produced a broken collar bone thanks to a seat belt, they discovered some major stenosis in my cervical spine that my doctor had previously attributed to Cushings due to my age, and Degenerative disc disease in my lumbar spine. He had previously thought that I just wasn't used to feeling my tail bone when I sat! Also discovered was a pinched nerve in my neck, and some minor scoliolsis. I refused surgery, as I was told that I was not a good candidate due to my weight, 180 at THAT time, and being status /post gastric bypass, it was going to be hard to heal. My doctor gave me a 5% chance of no improvement, and 5% chance of being worse off after surgery. I was put on pain medication and have been since then, for about 10 years now. I seem to have developed "seizure-like tics" from morphine, whole shakes that send whatever is in my hand at the time flying. I am on Medicare, so medications are limited to $2900/year as to what I can afford. I live in Florida, and the drug Nazis are tightening up every six months it seems, so pain meds are getting harder and harder to acquire. I am building up a tolerance to what I can get, and don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions? THX!