Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning and Pain in Foot Post Laminectomy and fusion

Lindsay29LLindsay29 Posts: 3
edited 11/25/2014 - 4:33 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a spinal fusion at L5 S1 and a laminectomy on 10/31. Foot has been terribly numb (no feeling). I am on gabapentin 900mg at night 600mg in the am. That said in the last day or two i have started having terrible burning and itching of the foot and awful pins and needles in that foot which is creating severe pain. It is extremely hypersensitive - and i jump and am in pain if anything touches it. Part of the foot (the ball and inside of toes also feels numb). Any ideas what might be happening - as I am totally freaked out by the odd change in pain?

• I have had a similar issue since my L5S1 fusion. My neurosurgeon seems to think it's just the nerve flaring up & beginning to recover. I had severe ankle pain prior to surgery & it's slowly diminishing. If it's really bothering you, you should ring your surgeon for some advice. That's what they're there for. Mine is always happy for me yo ring & ask questions.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • I did call. He is horrible about returning calls, seriously ran fever for a week after discharged from hospital. Called this am and then tried back at 4 as had not heard and was told he left for holiday. Feeling like I need to speak with him but apparently he is unavailable till Monday and no one is
    Covering for him - which I don't get. Hence why I reached out here to get advice. Feeling desperate for anything to help or at least know it is normal.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I had a laminectomy done in 2006 to L4 thru L6. Post-op both my big toes have been numb/tingling ever since but solved my lower right side back pain ever since. Over time you may see your symptoms disappear, we all heal differently.
  • thomas linkthomas link Posts: 1
    edited 11/26/2014 - 6:40 AM
    Removed spam
    Sent from my samsung taplet
  • I have the same problem. It started after my second microdiscectomy. It is in my left foot and the top feels like it is severely sunburned and supersensitive. You are the only person I've heard of who has described exactly what I am experiencing with the weird semi-numbness underneath the toes. After my fusion, I lost a lot of function in that foot and ankle as well. I am still walking with a cane and doing PT almost 9 weeks later. I hope it heals.

I will say that even after taking the highest dose of Gabapentin for a while, I had to switch to Lyrica, which my insurance company didn't like, but it does seem to be working better for me.

I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm in the same boat. I will say that you have every right to press for answers and different meds if you are still in pain. There are other things to try and your doctor should be willing to work with you.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • That's unprofessional & lacks duty of care :( He should return calls or at the least have someone else for you to talk to. I get the general feeling here that a lot of people suffer from these type of after effects. I hope that eases your mind a little until you can hopefully speak to your surgeon next week.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Thanks all. Someone who had the surgery recommended taking arnica Montana (they have a gel cream
    And a dissolving pill). Can't say it is solving the problem (and may be psychological) but helping slightly. It is so awful I will take anything at this point. Also nights are the worst. Wish I knew how long this typically lasts as it is so frustrating!!!
  • I have similar problems that started before i had my first discectomy/laminectomy on my L5 S1 .... with that being said and two more surgeries, i would get a hold of your family doc for follow up, that is how it works here, he does my prescriptions and follow up, surgeons can be hard people to get ahold of. I now have what they call drop foot, not trying to scare you but I never did recover fully in the nerve department. I could be your nerves regenerating, Did you have any of these symptoms prior to surgery?
    2009 discectomy/laminectomy L5-S1
    2013 revision and discectomy/laminectomy /forimanotomy L4-L5
    2014 Fusion and hardware L3-S1
  • My right foot goes numb when I walk otherwise I feel like I have a bandange wrapped around my foot and it is always cold. I do have feeling in my foot though, just feels weird all of the time.....one thing gets better and one things changes....

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
    Spondylolithesis (congenital)