Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op (L4L5 fusion) 7 weeks out.. reoccuring pain

My story post early November is in the New Member Intro. Oct 6 I had L4 and L5 XLIF fusion, and it hurt alot.
In my 4th week post op I felt so much better, x ray looks good according to my NS. Then last week I start having pain in the area where they fixed my back. Does anyone get set back in the healing process? It is a back ache when I stand or bend. I know to bend at the knees only, I hope I haven't done anything to injury myself. I'm very careful. I felt like I was on my way to feeling better, besides the exhaustion, but this pain has me questioning the healing.
Any one else experience this, I hope it is normal. And I will call my NS office to ask but I'm sure they will have me wait until my next appt and x ray in January,

advertisement

Comments

• I'm 15 weeks post fusion & I still get a bit of backache if I sit with poor posture or for too long & stand for too long. For me I think a lot of it is because I'm more active than I was in the early weeks & probably not as careful as I was then too. My NS isn't too concerned, he said it would take a lot to 'undo' the good work & to keep up with pt, walking & swimming. I had my 3 month X-Ray & my hardware is where it should be. I spoke to my physio a couple of weeks ago about pain & tiredness & she assured me it's all normal, just the body healing.

Hope this helps,
    Veronica
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Although I'm progressing nicely, I still get strange new pains on this road to recovery. For the most part, they tend to dissipate
    after 2 or 3 days and I'm relatively pain free. Or, I'll hit a "plateau" where the healing process seams to stall for a week.
    However, I feel some of the new pains I experience are the result of increased activity. This is where, according to my NS, one can get into trouble by doing to much. I've learned to pace myself in this regard.
    In looking back, at my healing experience at about 7 weeks post-op, I recall experiencing those "peaks & valleys" with regard to the healing process. New and unique pains were somewhat normal in my experience.
    Keep up the walking as I logged about 2 miles per day and as my NS stated, this really helped in my recovery.
    I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me for additional information or questions.
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14
    Regards
    Eric
  • Thank you Owie 999 and Eversvl....you're both right....since then I've had a good week and then some sore days. It's all part of healing. I've heard it can take months if not a year to feel better competely.