Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Inter-Thecal Morphine Pump - Will it increase your chances for disability benefits?

I've been searching everywhere for information on this subject and i'm hoping someone here can shed some light on whether or not having an inter-thecal morphine pump implant will increase the likelihood of being approved for disability benefits?

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

Best Regards,

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    edited 11/27/2014 - 6:35 PM
    should have no bearing on disability benefits.
    If anything , like so many others with morphine implants, it i will give you a chance to do so much more and become valuable again in the work force.
    I assume this is your objective, returning to the workforce and doing so much more.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • RJK2643RRJK2643 Posts: 8
    edited 11/28/2014 - 7:49 AM

The Doctors (PCP, PM & Neuro) are saying that I will not be able to to return to any type of gainful employment due to the nature of my injury (Bone Tumor of the right Sacrum). I've been taking pain meds for the last ten years in an attempt to control the pain from the tumor, But as anyone who takes pain meds know the dosages have to be increased continually. The PM feels that the Medtronics Pump is the best option after ten years of oral meds with little success.

My question was based on the fact that I've had to file for disability recently and I was curious whether or SSA gave any more weight to the pain pump versus oral meds when making their decision to grant or deny disability benefits.

Thanks and I look forward to your response.

edited 11/28/2014 - 11:56 AM
    I might be lost at words in terms of what this means for SSI and disability benefits.

I know two people recently who had these type of morphine pumps installed and they are back at work, in fact, one of them is a doctor. Because of the controlled release of pain medications, they were able to return to work.

I've been on pain medications on/off for the past 35 years, solid for the last 12. So, I know exactly what pain medications can do to the body, their pros and cons.

From my own experiences with oral meds (never had a pump) and from those I know close that have a pain pump, if I was the judge, I would grant disability to someone on oral meds sooner than I would than with someone on a pump. Think about it this way, the pain pump can be similar to the extended release medications. All day long, but no real spikes. When you are taking oral medications (Immediate release type) you will have those spikes.

But I am not the judge.. Sorry, from your thread, I thought you wanted to be able to return to work and not looking for disability. My error.
  • For your perspective on this...I would have to agree with you after reading your response that a judge may view it that way..

Something to think about then I guess...

Some times I may come across as being cold or not caring. Honestly, I do take disability very seriously. I have seen many people take advantage of the system and go out on disability when then are completely capable of working. I have seen this within my own family, I am ashamed about it, but people need to do what they need to do.

At my part time job as a wine salesman, I have a customer who complained and complained about their neck pain. One surgery, then went for SCS, claimed it failed, went for another one, claimed it failed, sued the doctors, that didnt fly, so, they went for disability, that worked and they were awarded a lot of money. Meanwhile, this same person, rides a motorcycle, skies (both water and snow), plays sports, etc. And he is proud to say he lied to get his disability.

Robert, I apologize , I never wanted to come across in saying that you were doing anything wrong. I just wanted to lay everything on the table. And one thing that did strike a bell with me was the pain pump vs oral medications. Perhaps this is based on my first hand knowledge and what I've been told by doctors.

The bottom line, I hope that you pull together the right information to go forward with your disability. When its the right thing to do, its the right course of action.

I am too dense at times. I have always refused a handicap parking sticker. I do need one, but because I have seen them abused, I wont get one. Now , call me stubborn and you are right.

Robert, I hope that whatever you need to do for your life, for your family turns out in a positive way for you. I have seen too many people that just want to take advantage. I don't know a lot, but I have learned over the years to read people. I sense that you are totally genuine and that you are not trying to abuse anything. You are just trying to protect your own interests in the future. I wish you the best of luck.