Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Intoroducing Adainsdad

AdainsdadAAdainsdad Posts: 1
edited 11/27/2014 - 6:29 PM in New Member Introductions
Having read several posts, it seems that my situation is fairly mild. I'm concerned enough to search the site, though, so I thought I'd join and introduce myself.

I'm 57 years old, fairly active and fairly fit. I injured my back at age 21, trying to deadlift a barbell in a sporting goods store-that turned out to be bolted to the floor. I felt a "crunch" mid back, probably at about the thorax/lumbar border. That move didn't seem to do much damage, and for 30+ years all I believed I dealt with was some point tenderness if I sat on a low backed chair and a stiff back when I traveled and slept in a strange bed.

About 4 years ago I noticed some numbness and tingling in my feet. I'm a light duty runner, so at first I thought this might be due to running. I changed shoes-twice-and tried different running surfaces. The numbness and tingling persisted, but it wasn't a hindrance so I pretty much ignored that until 18 months ago. Then I went to my PCP and had back X-rays, which surprisingly to me looked OK. I next had a nerve conduction test, which showed "very mild" neuropathy, which my PCP called idiopathic. So I figured I'd just watch the numbness and live with it unless it got much worse.

2 months ago I fell flat on my back playing baseball, which might have caused a bit of a whiplash situation. Within a week I had right forearm and rt shoulder pain. I assumed the forearm pain was tendonitis, and I have a history of shoulder problems, so I went to an orthopedist primarily to rule out a rotator cuff issue. My insurance is so-so, so I didn't get any diagnostics done then. My ROM and strength were good enough (still are) so he sent me to physical therapy for possible RC tendonitis.

Twice since then I've awakened with mild neck pain but slightly more intense shoulder pain. When I thought about it, I remembered having tht pain several times before. I also have some slight numbness (new) in both thumbs. In addition I've had some reduction in strength in my right bicep for several months which has gotten worse lately. I'm still functional, but the bicep strength might be down to 80%. This wasn't as pronounced so I didn't mention this when I went to the ortho the first time. The numbness and the strength reduction concern me the most.

So I'm going back to the ortho on Dec. 8th. I'm wondering if I will overwhelm him or distract him with all of this. I don't want to do that, but I was too stingy with background the first appointment, and I don't know what's relevant and what's not. I'm curious if anyone else has several possible contributing factors, and how you handled that and with what outcome. Having read the site, I'm now wondering if my feet symptoms might be due to a cervical issue, which it seems would most likely explain the upper extremity numbness and weakness.

Otherwise. I'm glad I found this site. Seems supportive.\\

Welcome to Spine-Health

It would be very helpful if you could provide us with more details. Here are some questions that you
should answer:

• - When did this first start?
    - Was it the result of an accident or trauma?
    - What doctors have you seen?
    - What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones?
    - What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results
    - What medications are you currently using?
    - Has surgery been discussed as an option?
    - What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?

Providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
of your situation and make it easier to respond.

Please take a look at our forum rules: Forum Rules

--- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator : 11/28/14 12:28