Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help, New to Forum and Lower back pain

akbarshoxxxaakbarshoxxx Posts: 1
edited 11/29/2014 - 8:49 PM in Lower Back Pain

This seems like the most adequate forum to post questions about. I have a herniated disc that I was diagnosed with 4-6 years ago when I improperly lifted as a 16 year old.

The pain went away after a few days, however up to this day (20 years old) I still experience pain whenever I engage in sports that basically involve me lifting my legs in a straight manner above my waistline, or any sport that involves heavy leg movements like soccer.

I love soccer one may simply call it an addiction, whenever I play, AFTER 1-2 weeks I get pain in my lower back, symptoms cease after a few days of rest and some pain relief gels which I rub.

I plan on fully swimming which I confirmed definitely helps your hernia, some weight training that have no effect on my spine (curling while lying flat on the bench or bench presses) no dangerous ones like squats or deadlifts (which I used to do easily 200-250lbs) but I do not want to risk it any longer. I want to do all of these exercises and play soccer 1-2 a week (I used to play 4 days a week)

So what do you think?

Swimming and weightraining with no stress on the lower back 4 days a week, and 1-2 days just 1.5 hour game of soccer.

I will be consulting with a doctor again sometime soon

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi. Was your herniation diagnosed with an MRI? That was a long time ago. Have you had other recent diagnostic tests to know what's going on in your spine?

It seems like you have things reasonably controlled. It could be worth taking to your doc about being referred for some physical therapy. They can help you to really strengthen your core & tell you which exercises you should & shouldn't be doing. Proffesional athletes don't just do their sport. They perfect their whole bodies to avoid injury. I come from England & know a lot of Football (soccer) crazy people. It's incredibly physically taxing. It's not just the pain now which would worry me, it's the future!
    Your doc will probably have some other suggestions based on your particular diagnosis but I'd mention physical therapy. It could help avoid future damage & pain. I wouldn't recommend not playing football...that's like telling a young English guy not to drink beer or breath!!! ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.