Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any suggestions

Hello and best wishes to all suffering.

I've had 6 x spinal surgeries (mostly fusions and redo's) since 2009, plus a 3 week hospital stay to detox off large doses of opiates. I was prescribed a different regime of opiates and stick on pain patches at the conclusion of this. Why people take Ketamine for kicks is beyond me (the detox program uses Ketamine). Never hallucinated that much in my life, but, that's another story in itself.

I'm involved in litigation with a neurosurgeon at the moment. I have a lot of trust with the new neurosurgeon (he's done 4 of my surgeries).

I live in constant pain, done the pain management thing, done the everything that you are required.

My pain and mobility has been a problem, but, I've managed. Don't know how, but, I do. Life as an knew it disappeared. I have no life, but, I try. It's frustrating, but, I try.

I was advised recently by my neurosurgeon that I need further surgery, but, he is worried that it will cause me more problems as in, end up in a wheel chair. My dilemma is that the Pain Management doctor believes that he can reduce my pain by 33.3% 1/3rd) if I have surgery.

If my neurosurgeon is worried, but, my PM dude believed he can reduce my pain. Who do I listen to?

I understand that this is ultimately my decision, but, constant pain and mobility issues isn't easy (I live on my own with cleaners etc doing the housework).

I know that I'll never be 21 again (I'm 47 later this month) and have been described as having a spine that is "very rickety and like an 85 year old man).

Your thoughts and thanks for replying.
More titanium steel in me than a modern car.....

• First I want to say it's great that you have a neurosurgeon you trust, that is more than half your battle. I would get a second opinion from a pain doctor and a neurosurgeon. Seeing that your neurosurgeon is concerned would concern me and another neurosurgeon can at least agree with the neurosurgeon that you completely trust. Another pain doctor can also agree or disagree with helping your pain and possibly offer more options. My personal neurosurgeon welcomes the ideas and suggestions of other neurosurgeons so that it brings me clarity and helps me to make a more informed decision. What's the harm? You're in a tough spot, and if it was me I don't know if 33% would be enough for me but that choice is yours. Who knows, you may be delightfully surprised! Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Many thanks for your reply.

I could write a book about what has happened to me and the "medical experts" that I've seen since this all started a few years ago. There are some neurosurgeon's who I wouldn't let open a can of beans, let alone me.

Because of the litigation I'm involved in, I can't explain myself fully, only for fear of saying too much (that can happen when your loaded with pills and high emotions). Your suggestion about the 2nd opinion is great, except the "highly regarded neurosurgeon's" that I would trust have been or are involved in my litigation. I may have to travel interstate, which in itself is a problem, but, problems were meant to be solved.

The 2nd opinions that I have had (by default as you are required to be examined for "independent opinions" due to the litigation), have been incredible. The level of "expertise" could be questioned and how our medical authorities allow some to continue to perform spinal and brain surgery is nothing short of deplorable. Obviously, not all doctors are of such ilk.

There was a neurosurgeon here in Australia who had a serious cocaine and sex addiction condition, resulting in the deaths of 2 young women. He was allowed to continue to operate on spines. God knows how many lives he ruined.

I'll see how I go with 2nd opinions.

Also (no, I'm not endorsed or involved in any way, except as a user) a device called Pain Pod III. I've used TENS before, without much success, but, this Pain Pod III is making a difference. It has numerous modes, including various types of massage. It's helping a little.

More titanium steel in me than a modern car.....