Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Fusion/Back Pain

rjparsons1025rrjparsons1025 Posts: 1
edited 12/01/2014 - 7:32 PM in Lower Back Pain
I have previously had 3 back fusion surgeries. My first one was September 2011, it failed and a titanium screw broke in half, my dr wouldnt listen to me when i 'felt' it break and had me wait a full year because 'thats how long it takes to heal'. I found a new dr, and we originally went in to take out the hardware from my first surgery because of an allergy and when we went in for my 2nd surgery we found out the screw had broke the first time around, and instead of taking out the hardware, we had to REDO every thing. That surgery was January 2013. We went in for the 3rd time to remove the hardware in April this year (2014) and he said i hadnt 'fully' fused at my S1 so he packed more bone in there and hoped it would work. Things had been fine up until about 2 weeks ago and i started having horrible back pain. The point to where its unbearable to stand in an upright position, and i have to lift my right leg off the ground for the pain to go away. I have a mild form of scoliosis and i have spondolythesis. i was fused l4, l5 and s1. I saw my PA last week right before thanksgiving and he did some xrays that 'look' fine, but he ordered an MRI so we can get a better look. I dont see my neuro until the 10th but i would like to know what the MRI findings mean. what does the hypointense stuff mean? this is what they say:

L4-L5: There is hypointense T1 and T2 signal material within the lateral recesses bilaterally. This material surrounds the l5 nerve roots within the lateral recesses. mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
L5-S1: Hypointense T1 and T2 signal material is also present within the lateral recesses and epidural space at this level. There is more hyperintense signal intensity material surrounding the S1 nerve roots when compared to the l4-l5 level. Mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
Not contrast was givien to determin enhancement of the material surround the nerve roots.
Impression:
1. Postsurgical changes at l4-s1 as described above. Probable fibrosis surrounding the l5 and s1 nerve roots within the lateral recesses at these levels. These findings are greatest at l4-l5
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,892
    edited 12/01/2014 - 7:32 PM
    Nobody on the forum is qualified or permitted to comment on an MRI finding

Welcome Message

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery