Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Purple Haze

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Greetings :?

PCP put me on Lyrica 75mg by request of the PM Doc.

I took the Lyrica for a few days and the Side Effects were like waking up from a bad acid trip. :O

First I would Pass out within 3 breaths or So my Husband told me. Not sure that I remember anything. When I woke up the next morning I was in a total Fog. But like others told me here don't give up on there wonder Drug.

Still kept trying to take the drug as it did help in controling the back spasm's However every morning waking up seemed the same Like walking around in a Bubble. That was Flying around Like Glenda the Good Witch of the North from OZ. Oh and Excuse me while I kiss the Sky.

I called the PCP and left a message with the Nurse about wild side effects? She called me back and the Doc Lowered my dose to 50mg? I still have not picked up the Script, every time I have that script filled it will cost me a $35 dollar co-pay and that is just too high for me.

Wondering where this drug is going to take us and why are the Doctors pushing it so hard Like its the NEW Bextra?

• Dawn....If you have nerve pain it is a wonder drug....the narcotics will not help with nerve pain so imagine a world full of nerve pain that no drug helps...that is why Lyrica is a wonder drug, or at least for me it is. Yes the first week on Lyrica was difficult but it soon leveled out in my system and since then no side effects. Like the first time you ever take a pain pill....the itching, insomnia and host of other side effects that also soon go away. It's best to start Lyrica at a very small dose and ease the dosage up slowly.....

• :) Lyrica is a a medication for nerve pain not muscle spasms. the two are not the same. there are lots of positive reports from users of Lyrica who struggle through the side effects and come out on the other side. i did! sorry it has not worked for you. there are other nerve pain medications which might help. ask your doctor to try one of those! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hi Dawn,
    Like Lulu just said, Lyrica is for nerve pain, not muscle spasms, so you might want to ask your Doc why you got prescribed Lyrica for muscle spasms. There are other medications for nerve pain like Cymbalta, an anti-depressant that is used off lable for nerve pain and it took care of my nerve pain before I had my SCS installed. For muscle spasms I take Zanaflex and it works quite well, but it will also make you sleepy for a few hours after you take your dosage, but it is not an "acid" ride like Lyrica. Take care,
  • for a short time. My PM doctor gave me 50mg and 75mg samples and told me to slowly work up with the dosage. I also felt very strange while taking it, I felt drunk. After 3 days I stopped it, mainly b/c my doctor and I came to the conclusion that I don't have alot of nerve pain to justify taking this. Most of my pain is localized to my neck and upper back with only occasion arm pain and tingling, numbness. I would rather live with the occasional arm pain than take another drug.

Dawn I have followed alot of your posts and from what I remember your chief complaints were the ice pick feeling in your shoulder and neck pain. Do you even have arm pain? You and I have the same disc herniated, just noticed that!!
  • I havent had a Good Stab in a Week or Better. Unless I over work my shoulder with the Cocktail Tray. Not sure if it was the Lyrica or the Lidoderm, dilaudid, Ice, or maybe CESI that removed the Ice Pick that was Lodged in the Left shoulder and then the Ice Pick was in my Right Head above the Ear, but that 1 would come and go?

It could have been a lot of Stress? that was causing pain level 9-10? Or the CESI. I called PM just before the 3rd CESI and Cancelled apt. They agreed that the CESI Seemed to cause my Pain level to go HIGH before it would take proper effect.

Now I feel Like I did before the CESI. Not Pain free but at least Functionable.

I would Still LOVE to Find a Good PT to do accupressure? I think if I can get that going I can get the Pain level down maybe from a 6-7 to a Sweet 4 ? That would just make my Day.
  • Oh Dawn! I know exactly what you are feeling. I tried the Lyrica for nerve pain, but had the toughest time truly waking up. I tried to get past it but gave up after two weeks. I was sleeping most of the time and when I wasn't I still felt like I was sleepwalking! Good luck! Iknow that there are so many people who have had great success in taking it, but it was not for me.
    Take care.