Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery scheduled for Monday 12/8 - scared to death

Just AGirlJJust AGirl Posts: 16
edited 12/03/2014 - 8:14 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I'm new here. I've been suffering with lower back pain that goes into my left hip & down my left leg. I have a torn disc at L5/S1 & have tried steroid injections, massage, chiropractic, myofascial release, & acupuncture. Nothing has helped. So I have scheduled surgery for fusion this coming Monday. I'm scared to death. I cry every time I think about it. I'm scared whether or not I'm making the right choice. My surgeon is XXXX & I really like him so far. I just wish I felt 100% sure that I'm doing the right thing. I've tried everything else, but I'm still terrified to have a fusion.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It is quite natural to feel just like you do before surgery, but when you read your message, the important part is when you list all the options you tried before agreeing to have surgery. Eventually this is why most of us elect a surgical procedure. It is also important that you like and trust your surgeon. So try to relax, think positively about the expected outcome. Most of us are happy afterwards that we made a similar decision. I had major (six-level) fusion 3 1/2 months ago and am doing quite well. Currently I am about 650 miles away from home, we drove to Oregon from California for Thanksgiving. I was comfortable during the long ride that we covered in two days. I have no pain, taking no pain medication, and can do more and more by the day. Hope you will have similar results, most importantly the hip and leg pain (sciatica?) will disappear or at least will improve. Keep up the spirit! Best wishes for a successful fusion!
  • Kinpain thank you so much! That's very encouraging!
  • sbdinsdssbdinsd Posts: 2
    edited 12/04/2014 - 10:55 AM
    I'm not too far behind you. I think "kinpain" states it correctly. We've tried everything else--continuing to limit our activities and live with pain isn't really an option. You'll do fine. We're rooting for you.
  • thank you for the kind words of encouragement. My surgery is scheduled at 7am tomorrow & everytime I think about it, I start shaking & get sick at my stomach.
    I know I haven't been on this forum for very long, but just knowing it's here, with people who understand, makes me feel a little better.
    Thank you to everyone who has read my post, even if you were unable to respond. I've read quite a few posts on here, but I unfortunately don't have any words of advice, so I just read other's comments.
  • I just want to echo what others have said. I just had my 4th back surgery 2 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with pain and not doing much yet. However, my previous surgeries, including L4-S1 fusion, went really well and my recoveries were textbook. No pain at all for 5 years after 1st fusion, and returned to work with no issues fter 3 months. Good luck!
  • Sorry I haven't posted since my surgery. I'm in a lot of pain & because my blood pressure keeps dropping, they aren't giving me stuff that is really strong enough to kick this pain. At last check, it was 78/49. I'll post more when I feel better but those of you that have done this more than once or have had multiple levels done, y'all are seriously brave!
  • I'm glad you checked in -- I wanted to know how your surgery went. I'm sorry your pain isn't more under control; hopefully they'll get a handle on your BP and it will be better. Not doing too well pain-wise myself 2 1/2 weeks out, but we will both feel better, even if it doesn't seem like it now. Thinking of you.
  • just try to get better. It is a bummer that your low BP prevents you from getting better pain meds.
    Hopefully things start to improve for you soon. Wishing you the best!
  • Are you starting to feel better yet? Hope so!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016