Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mood Swings

ddubov67dddubov67 Posts: 28
edited 12/03/2014 - 8:22 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi. 47 yr old female in perimenopuase...... I had a l4/5 S1 TLIF 1 month ago. After surgery they took me off of menopuase meds due to potential complications for recovery. In last 2 weeks I have had the most wicked moods swings and crying jags for no reason. I did NOT have these symptoms before surgery but now...holy crap...I cant stand it... some days are better than others. Waiting to find out when and if I can resume my meds. I was told that this behavior is 'normal' post surgery for any post op. Is anyone one else have these same issues or am I on the crazy train??????

If so, please let me know what you do when this happens...

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
Spondylolithesis (congenital)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm 4 months post TLIF at L5S1 and my moods have been all over the place. The first month or two my husband tells me I was all over the place (he tells me this now!), luckily they seem to have settled.
    I just rode it out, I think one of the medications I was on had a huge effect. Now that I'm taking only a low dose of an antidepressant (supposed to help with nerve pain & sleep) I'm feeling much better within myself. I've also thrown stressing about healing time out the window and am going with the flow.
    Hang in there,
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Veronica,
    Thanks so much for yout feedback. Luckily things are settling down a bit, I think, lol.

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
    Spondylolithesis (congenital)
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 557
    I also had mood swings after my surgeries. I'm 53. Someone told me it could be from the anesthesia still in your system?
  • I'm also perimenapausal. Apres surgery it was a bit like shooting at a shark in a barrel. Scary business. Sweats too. It's better now that everyone's dead. I mean. It's better now 4 ish months post surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    edited 12/07/2014 - 5:05 PM
    because I knew that is a difficult period in time for any women, or person to have to go through.

But in terms of mood swings. I think you will find anyone that is dealing with chronic pain will have them. One day, one moment things could seem ok, then the next something triggered a major swing.

I think all of this is totally understandable.. However, to the outsider,

For the women: Oh, its just her, you know what I mean, just ignore her
    For the man Poor guy, he is going though a lot

Not very fair is it?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Surgery and pain can cause stress both physically and psychologically. I'm currently dealing with a major hormonal imbalance. I won't go into detail, but I have physical symptoms that have me concerned. Some blood tests came back okay so my Dr believes that it's more physical stress due to pain and my most recent surgery. Pain alone puts a lot of physical stress on our bodies and surgery definitely puts our bodies through a lot. I also had a reaction to the anesthesia from my most recent surgery. It caused what I call short term dementia. I don't remember much of anything from my first 4 weeks post op. It's quite a scary thing. I said and did things that were very out of character of me and I don't remember any of it. I don't think it's too uncommon to have hormonal imbalances when our bodies go through a lot. I just take deep breaths and allow myself to only think about all the good things in my life. I'm lucky that I haven't had many mental breakdowns, but finding a way to relax is different for everyone. I just try to keep my mind occupied. I'm sure you'll feel better once you have your meds back, but this can happen to anyone dealing with chronic pain, a recent surgery, or someone that's just under a lot of stress.

I'm sure it will improve with time. Just remember to breathe.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • I'll be 40 soon.
    Thanks mother nature. Thanks for the menopause.. The back surgery. The white hair.