Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Best placement of TENs patches

LaTxKanLLaTxKan Posts: 1
edited 12/03/2014 - 8:14 PM in Chronic Pain
New to forum. Tens purchased for bad knees. Have Sciatic now. Pain mgmt said use tens. Is best placement over pain or on lower back? Any suggestions?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I was told to put mine around my spine (where the pain comes from) but I use mine on the tight, spasm muscles I have around my bum, my hips & thighs...even though I know the nerve pain is from my back. I've had mine for a really long time. Sometimes it helps, others not so much. For me, I consider it 'distraction therapy' ;-)
    The packet will instruct you where not to use it & how to use it safely. I concentrated on the pain generator at the start. Familiarity breeds contempt & I've tried it on all my hurts, even unrelated pulled muscles by now.

I'm assuming I'm normal... Maybe you should check with your doc. For me it helps both on my back & on my thigh. Back is more of a distraction. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • The pain clinic today gave me a referral for a TENS unit. I have radiculopathy, painful in back of right thigh and lower leg and foot. Some lower back pain too, but that's not my main complaint. The medical place that sells them called me up and said they checked with my insurance and it won't pay for it, which is what I expected. The man at the place told me I can buy one of the two that they sell, one costing $100 and the other $300. He said that they do the same thing, but some doctors just like the expensive model. Am I allowed to mention the models? The $100 one is a Neurotech Aviva Tens XP, and the $300 one is an Empi Select. I did try out a TENS twice at the physical therapist, once on my thigh, and once on my back. It was pleasant enough, but didn't actually seem to help anything, But that was only once for each spot. Also the phys ther told me that he'll help me buy one - tell me where to get it and which model - if I want one of my own. Any advice? Has anyone found them very helpful - or is it just, as EG said, basically "distraction therapy"?
  • I've found one on Amazon that gets very high ratings, only $40. I think that if the $100 unit is the same as the $300 unit, this one is probably the same too, so I ordered it.