Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3rd week post op & pre-surgery symptoms came back!!

Libby241LLibby241 Posts: 9
edited 12/03/2014 - 8:56 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I honestly have never done one of these forum things before so please bare with me..
Back in 2012 I was hit by a car going 40 mph while I was walking across the street.
I destroyed his windshield with the right side of my face and head
Which initially resulted In a 6 month long concussion, I'm terrible at keeping up with doctors visits in regards to myself.
I never had my neck checked for damage after I was hit.. They did X-rays in the hospital when I was brought in that night & that was it.. But what I didn't know was the accident had caused a bulging disc between c6/c7.
Towards the end of 2013 I was having more pain than usual in my neck, shoulder and arm.. I finally seen a neurologist around June of 2014 after baring with the pain for months .. I drive a stand up lift for work and I'm constantly looking up all night to the high racks my whole 10 hour shift so it was to the point that I couldn't take it anymore & was effecting my job.. I had an MRI done & was told the disc was now ruptured and pinching my left nerve.. I went ahead with the surgery. My surgery date was 11/11/14 and wellspan did my surgery XXXX, amazing facility! The surgery was to replace the disc between c6/c7 with donated bone ( I honestly can't remember what the procedure was called ). I felt great for the first week and a half after but then started noticing that my nerve pain was back. 2 days after the nerve pain came back my 3 year old son had fallen down the stairs & without thinking I picked him up to calm him down .. He weighs over 40 lbs. I felt immediate pain after I picked him up.. I called my neurosurgeons office and they suggested heat and Ice and if it didn't get better to see a local doctor. I waited 3 days & finally went to the medexpress on Black Friday.. They did an X-ray and everything was still in place where it should be but the doctor said she could see signs of spasming in the X-ray and suggested I may have just pulled a muscle & sent me home with pain meds to last until my appointment tomorrow. My pain feels exactly like it did before surgery & I just feel so discouraged.. I feel like I went through with this for nothing.. I'm scared to even ask anything for the pain tomorrow because I don't want my doctors office to think bad of me.. I was taking only 15 mg of oxycodone a day and it helped get me through with taking the edge off.. The pain wasn't fully gone when on it but it helped.. I'm frustrated because my doctors partner told me that I'd feel 100% better after the surgery like my injury never happened & here I am 3 weeks out with the nerve pain back full force and that annoying feeling in the back of my neck like something's going to snap & not to mention the terrible headaches I have everyday.. Can anyone give me any advice?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,904
    edited 12/03/2014 - 8:56 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • But please don't loose heart. You are super super early post op. Moms with kids to care for have it rough. I'm eight weeks away from being due and have three other little ones to lift now with a cervical problem. Your health matters. Where is a neighbor, friend,church member? Husband? X? You need some help but you are going to have to ask someone probably. You need some meds for pain and maybe anxiety it sounds like? I'm no doctor but I am a mom with a neck problem too. You probably need pt or at least a walking program. Stay sober because alcohol is not a controlled substance and it can take you down fast. I hope that doesn't sound preachy or judgy. I just know it will make you more depressed and can kill mixed with other scripts.