Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Feeling lost - 23 years after the accident and back to square 1

edited 12/04/2014 - 3:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all!
My life has changed, again, and this time my limitations are dragging on a bit too long for comfort. As I am forced to address my mobility and pain control, and being powerless to hang on to the life that took me years to build, I am also realising that nobody around me actually has been truly understanding what I am experiencing on a daily basis all these years.
The thought only struck me a couple of months ago, when my GP himself experienced a very severe throat infection that required surgery. He seemed almost excited when he explained to me that he understood now what big pain feels like, and had gained understanding of what it was like to have a sensitive condition that flared up again when he caught a cold.
I had a similar conversation with my gas delivery guy when I apologised for not giving him a hand when switching the bottles over. He couldn't understand how he had to help his mother in law get out of bed and into the shower, then that afternoon she seemed quite comfortable walking around. Or that his best friend, to whom he was no longer speaking, took days off in the busy periods due to pain, then months later the guy went water skiing (This makes me skeptical too!). But when I said I could totally relate to his mother in law, and explained how pain behaves during some periods, he seemed totally gobsmacked, repentant, and vowed to take more care of her.
Then I took a look at myself. Even my physio said I looked fit and healthy when we first met. Then other times she has seen me when I can hardly think straight to have a conversation with her because I am quietly multitasking, using most of my mind to control the pain. Sometimes I just give up with acquaintances because it's too hard to be the socialite when your whole body is burning with pain. They don't understand, because they don't see it. You could imagine my annoyance when I was lavished with care and some decent pain relief when I sprained my ankle, because, well, they could see the bruising and the swelling, and most people know what that feels like. Times that by three and there you had my spine pain, going unrecognised.
I suppose now, a good year after this latest attack started to engulf my body, I am starting to be heard and progress is slowly being made, I'm thinking how could I have handled the communication better? How do other people in my situation handle it? Do you experience the same obstacles? What can I learn to enable me to recover faster, that I already haven't learned? Only you guys know, and I am glad to have found this forum.

Welcome to Spine-Health

It would be very helpful if you could provide us with more details. Here are some questions that you
should answer:

• - When did this first start?
    - Was it the result of an accident or trauma?
    - What doctors have you seen?
    - What Conservative treatments have you had? Which ones?
    - What diagnostic tests have you had? And their results
    - What medications are you currently using?
    - Has surgery been discussed as an option?
    - What is your doctor’s action plan for treating you?

Providing answers to questions like this will give the member community here a better understanding
of your situation and make it easier to respond.

Please take a look at our forum rules: Forum Rules

--- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator : 12/04/14 09:47