Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica 10 months after fusion at L4/L5/S1 disc out, decompressions etc

MaximummyMMaximummy Posts: 77
edited 12/04/2014 - 8:12 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I have been away from the forum for quite a while ... probably because a) I was doing better and b) because I also had a total knee replacement ten weeks ago ......... Let me tell you that I was told the knee would be a breeze after the back, but truly it is a big, invasive and very painful op to go through and it took a battle to get the back and knee surgeons to let me have it.
Since the knee my back has been very up and down ......... I went into spasm just the day after in the hospital and had a nerve route block about three weeks later. That one took a good three weeks to work.
Now here I am again ......... L4/L5 and S1 playing up again and am having a real attack of sciatica down the right leg .. same leg as the operated knee.

With or without the knee, do many people here have sciatica occasionally after months of being more or less pain free? I am nervous to start up more injections .......... I am keeping my back warm/ice, taking valium to damp down the spasms and extra amityriptyline and Percocet 4xdaily to knock it on the head

I realise that there is still a way to go with the back recover ... and the knee has been insult to injury and life is still 'small' and my stamina levels are poor. I keep trying to convince myself that by the spring I will be in a much better place!

Advice appreciated .....

• Welcome back, sorry to read the sciatica has flared again........
  • Hi there,

Wow, your poor body had been through so, so much! Take the time you need to let yourself heal. Those are both very difficult and extensive surgeries and ideally, it probably would have been better to wait a little longer into your fusion healin process before doing your knee, but pain doesn't listen to plans, does it.

Be easy on yourself. Don't push too hard but try keeping a pain log to chart your progress or non-progress and have the ability to see trends, one way or another. You've probably got considerable pain from one or both sources so keeping your symptoms and patterns distinct will help you identify root causes and effects.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1