Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

On going shoulder blade pain

edited 12/05/2014 - 4:47 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I've had the same back pain for well over 2 years now. It started out as a burning/stabbing sensation in the fleshy part between my spine and my shoulder blade and it tends to seize up and I have to physically loosen it up. I would experienced in around once a week. Times which I could really pinpoint getting the back pain were when I was tense, for example, I would suffer during driving lessons.

Around 10 months ago I went to the doctors with it and he sent me to a physiotherapist, saying that I just needed to strengthen the muscles. I visited this physiotherapist 4 or 5 times and did exercise in between however I stopped as I wasn't noticing a change whatsoever. I have also had a number of sports massages on it where the masseuse has said there is definitely something is wrong and can tell where I will be in pain when he massages a certain spot but it hasn't helped my problem.

In the past 4 months I have joined a gym and I have really been focusing on strengthening this part of my body but with much dismay it has gotten worse and I have been experiencing the pain non-stop and even on days where I haven't got the burning/stabbing sensation it feels bruised and too tender to touch it. It's inhibiting sleep and I'm in constant pain.
I have made a doctors appointment for the 10th of December and I really need some pointers on what could be wrong so that I can tell the doctor myself what could be the problem and I hopefully won't get palmed off again.

Also, I'm not sure if it's of any significance but when I roll my left (the painful one) shoulder or just move it, it crunches and clicks which I do not get with the right.

Anything you think could be the source of this problem or anyone who can relate please let me know!

Thank you!

• I found the above through self discovery. If you have pain in your shoulder blades or anywhere in your body, that means you probably either over work it or under work it. There need to be a balance between stretching and strengthening of the muscles. Also you need to start doing full body stretches if this has gone too long because our body tends to compensate, especially your hip and core and for specific situation like yours stretch the antagonist (your chest). Our muscles above and below our hip will not release if you have some muscular imbalance in your hip or core muscles. If you want to do strengthening, start slow and make sure all the knots in your upper back are released first.
  • Jamie,

I had exactly the same symptoms, same initial diagnosis. I went to the PT 7 times and nothing changed, then I went to another doctor in order to get a second opinion. He told me to get a cervical MRI and then we saw the herniated disk between C6-C7.

As of today, I'm taking medications but it doesn't really help. Please let me know if you have been able to do some kind of stretch/excercise in order to get some kind of relief.