Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pseudarthrosis, Upcoming Anterior/Posterior Fusion Correction Surgery

dixiecat505ddixiecat505 Posts: 4
edited 12/05/2014 - 9:05 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello,

So I'm literally brand new to this board, but not new to spinal surgery. I had an L5-S1 fusion done almost 2 years ago to correct congenital spondylolisthesis when I was only 18. After the initial pain of the surgery and healing subsided, my back/leg pain got a lot better than before the surgery. Before I had the first surgery it was all I could do to even get through each day because the pain was so bad and was unavoidable. Over this past summer, just over a year out from my surgery, I started experiencing increasing pain again when I would stand for "longer" periods of time (really only an hour or so). At that point I figured I would ask for a CT scan when I saw my doctor again. By the end of summer, I couldn't stand the pain any more and scheduled an earlier scan and appointment. Unfortunately, when he looked at the CT and the X-rays, he saw that my fusion did not take and the bone graft did not fuse together. He could also see that the hardware was moving, which is what is causing my pain. Needless to say, I have been diagnosed with pseudarthrosis, failed spinal fusion. The only way to fix this is to completely re-do the original surgery and this time get my disc removed and replaced with bone graft as well. Last time I just had a posterior fusion, but this time it will be both anterior and posterior, anterior to remove the disc and posterior to replace the hardware.

Has anyone else been through this surgery? I am kind of freaking out. I hated it the first time and now I have to do it all over again. Last time I missed the last three months of my senior year of high school and now I am set to miss the second semester of my sophomore year of college. I am really concerned about the chances of it working this time. I mean, I was, and still am, very young to even be having these surgeries, and last time I was in amazing shape from playing travel softball all my life. If you have had this kind of surgery, how was the pain since it was from the front and back? Was the recovery any different than your first surgery? I'm just kind of wanting to learn about other peoples' experiences with this.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Gabby
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,892

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm 34, I've had 2 anterior/ posterior spinal fusions also surgery on my elbow because the bone was deteriorating because too many steroid injections, now I go to pain clinic twice a month for injections. My last injection was Friday because my left hip and leg was hurting. Now both legs have pain going down them and going numb in and out. I'm so over all of this and I feel your pain
    Jolynn varrati
  • I also wanted to add that I was inpatient for 9 days both surgeries but I did go back to work 3 weeks after surgery. Which obviously wasn't a good idea. I wish I never had the surgeries. I'm worse then before. Now they want to implant a neurotransmitter. I would love 1 day without pain. I was on oxycodone for 2 years and stopped taking them in June, they wasn't working anymore no point in taking them. They said my pain will get better without them....still waiting
    Jolynn varrati